Second top vent

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
Has anyone added just a second top vent to
their WSM ?

Leaving the bottom 3 vents as is, no added ventilation to the bottom.

If so how does it work, raising the temps? Is holding at 350 -375, for and hour or two, with briquettes possible ?

Any info appreciated ? Thanks

Bryan Thanks

I see what you mean, about a little more than I planned on.

I guess I should just take the Bull by the horns and try lump for the hight heat cooks.

Being the "Cave man" I am, it's a little difficult to try the lump.

I'm just now getting comfortable/sucessfull with the WSM and "Briquettes"

By the way picked up 2 Prime Ribs @ Weis one for now one for later.

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Is holding at 350 -375, for and hour or two, with briquettes possible ?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John, I see no reason why you couldn't hit those temps with briqs. When you do a high heat cook, you do leave out the water in the pan right? To hit those temps with my WSM, which runs cold, I'd just leave the lid hang off the edge a little bit by 3/16"-1/4" till I hit my target temp, then place the lid on right. HTH

Bryan

Yes I leave the water out of the pan. A while back I follwed your advise, with the foil lined water pan and really haven't used water.

I have tryied your trick with the lid hanging off the edge as you indicate. My problem is when I put the lid back in place the temp seams to always drop and I can't seam to maintain the 350 or 375 for extended times. Maybe I should just leave the lid hang and adjust the top vent as necessary. Any thoughts about that ?

John, I have the same problem in that when I replace the lid (after hanging) the temp drops and rather quickly. I've ordered a second vent and will install some time in January. I don't like the idea of having to "hang" the lid for most of the cook. I have done that, and I like to have a little more control with the vents. And i haven't had much success with the door thing, like Bryan has stated. Hanging the lid worked better for me, but my temps just won't stay.

Brad

The WSM holds the lower temps so well, I was thinking a second top vent would allow you to hold the higher temps as well.

Before I bought the WSM, I had and still have a Modified ECB. I put several vent holes with a cover on the lid and had no problem maintaining the higher temps with briquettes. I also put similar lower vent holes in the bottom, and could reasonably just the temps.

Just think adding a second vent could improve the preformance a little.

Y'all might want to try this, it has worked for me. With the lid hanging off a bit adjust your bottom vent to controll the air flow, I have done this and have been able to keep temps up aroung 350-375 with out it falling off. Even works great on these windy days.

Dave

That makes sense. Keep the lid hanging off, and adjust the bottom vents to keep the temps where you want them.

Thanks

It's amazing that the same unit can be so tempermental. I have ZERO issue with high heat cooks as long as I start with a full chimney of WELL LIT briq and I give the briq's a couple min to get happy with my lump before I assemble. I may "hang" the lid or slightly prop the door for a few more minutes after assembly, but once ample fuel is lit I can hold the temps easily with just the vents.

Back