Goose Breast With Pictures

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
Well with the start of waterfowl season here I decided to cooks some of my goose breasts from opening day. I did not brine these just covered with worchester sauces then my rub. I put on the cooker at 225 with 2 chunks of apple and let it go until the temp hit 160. I also wraped the breast in bacon from the butcher. It was fantastic no game taste.

wild goose

I dont think I have done venison but others on the board do it all the time. Should taste great. Also another great trick is to slice the goose then throw it in a crock pot with BBQ sauce and let it get real tender.

I assume you clean your geese like I do, save the breasts and legs and toss the rest? Do you then slice the breasts before throwing them into the slow cooker or do you use them whole?

Rick Soli:
I have tried cooking Wild duck/wild goose many different ways. They are always good but not what they could be. I am interested in your method of cooking them in a Crock Pot (I have never tried this) Could you possibly give me your recipe. Here in Arkansas we have mostly Canadian Geese and Malard Ducks.
Thanks
Old Arkie Bum

Woukdn't they be Arkansanian Geese (since they're from Arkansa)
icon_biggrin.gif

Canada Geese is the proper name Unless they were born in Canada

Ok Yes I usually just breast out the Goose and brine it in either Wild game High mountian cure, or salt water for about 24 hours. It gets the blood out and takes some of the gamey flavor away. I then trim all the shiners off the breast and leave the tendreloin intact if possible. Now this next part I totaly made up my measurements may be off but the taste was unbeliveable. I poked holes with a fork all over the breasts then placed them for 8-12hrs in the following mixtrure.
Remeber not exact.
1 lime squeezed
1/2 cup lea and perrins worchester sauce.
6-12 diced cloves of garlic
2-4 tblspoons of soy
fresh rosemary I am not sure how much.
1 cup red wine the cheep stuff in that huge bottle. I also put about 1/2 gallon of it in my water pan.
after I took the goose out I let it dry and then sprinlkle Texas BBQ rub on all sides wraped in thick cut bacon and put it on the cooker at 220-225. I didnt take that long I just wated for the temp to get to 160-170 in the meat.
My friends ate the meat right off the cooker I took the left overs sliced it up put in a crock on low with Subbs BBQ sauce completly covering it and just let it go for at least 2hrs. I actually forgot about it an when I put it on the bun and ate it the meat just melted in my mouth it was so tender.

Now my brother is on this board and he does the whole process in the Crock and then shreds it to make pulled goose. I have tasted it and its great too.

Good luck.

Rick:
Your recipe for smoked Goose Breast looks wonderful. If I am lucky enough to get a couple of honkers this next weekend they go in the smoker first.
The Flight geese in Arkansas have little or no fat. They loose it all in their trip to Arkansas from Canada. Lots of Bacon wrap is an excellent idea for our local wild ducks/geese.
Ill let you know how they turn out.
Thanks much

Old Arkybum

Norman, I have great Goose brest recipe for the crock pot. It is by far my faviorte.

INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small yellow onion, sliced
1 goose breast
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cups chicken broth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add goose breast and brown on both sides for about 5 minutes, or until browned.
Place goose breast in slow cooker and add Worcestershire sauce. Add chicken broth to cover (approximately 2 cups) and cook on High setting for 6 to 8 hours, or until meat falls off bone. Shred with a fork and mix with your favorite barbecue sauce.

I told you my Bro had a good recipe for goose. Now he just needs to come home so I can take him hunting and get some of those birds. Hes a lurker.

LOL
Rick

Rick,
I don't see an email address in your profile, or I would have written off-list, since this is off-topic.

I see you save your pictures to the Kodak Easy Share Gallery.
I'm getting a Kodak camera soon, and was wondering if you are satisfied with the software they ship with the camera, and the slideshow website.
BTW, nice pix.

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
You think whipped cream comes from Indiana Jones’ cows.

Charles-

I dont have a Kodak camera and anyone can use the kodak site. If you havent bought a camera there are a few other models I would consider first befor purchasing a Kodak.

Rick

Back