Vinegar Slaw recipe ?

I was traveling for work last year in Tennesee , Chattanooga area . Ate lunch at a place called Sugars , a great bbq restaurant . They had a slaw on the menu that I absolutely loved called Vinegar Slaw . Can't seem to find a recipe anywhere for it . It wasn't creamy at all , just tangy and vinegary , delicious . Has anyone here had anything similar ? And by chance willing to share the recipe ?

Rolf, here is a recipe for FREEZER SLAW which is in the style of the Vinegar Slaw. It's a handy thing to have in the freezer, but you don't have to freeze it. It keeps for a very long time in the refrigerator.

Rita

Welcome to TVWBB Rolf!

Not sure if this is what you are looking for,
but after not finding this type of slaw in the recipe section, I just added this one.
Hope it's similar to what you had at Sugars.

This one is from the Silver Palate cook book, it always go over really really well!

2 C shredded red cabbage
2 C shredded white cabbage
2 C grated peeled carrots
1/2 C finely minced yellow onions
1/3 C red wine vinegar
1/4 C granulated sugar
1 TBSP prepared Dijon mustard
salt and pepper
2/3 C olive oil
1 TBSP of caraway seeds

Toss both kinds of cabbage , grated carrots and minced onion together in a large bowl.

In a small bowl, wisk together the vinegar, sugar and mustard; season to taste with salt and pepper. Slowly wisk in the oil to form a fairly thick dressing.

Pour half the dressing over the vegetables and sprinkle with caraway seeds. Cover and refrigerate. Allow to get to room temperature before serving.

Clark

Clark, you need to post this recipe under the "side dish" category so we can look for it in the future. Looks like a real good, simple recipe

Rolf, I don't have it in front of me but look up Norwegian coleslaw on I believe Allrecipes.com. I never liked vinegar style coleslaw until trying that one. It still has sweetness to it as well and I freeze it all the time in mason jars and enjoy it all winter long with cabbage from my CSA farm boxes.

Here's a recipe I use, people seem to like it and I use it on PP sammy's mostly. I think I pulled it from this site but not sure.

3 cups green cabbage
1 cup red cabbage
1 cup chopped carrots
¼ cup green onions
3 T apple cider vinegar
2 T virgin olive oil
2 T sugar
¼ t fresh ground pepper
¼ t salt
¼ t dry yellow mustard
¼ t celery seed

I actually use bagged slaw mix most of the time for the cabbage/carrots portion, it's mostly just me and the wife, works well with the broccoli slaw mix at the store also. Also rarely use the ground mustard since I really don't have it around much. Usually make and throw in the fridge a few hours before serving, mixing about every hour.

I highly recommend trying the recipe that Clark posted (above, and in the "Side Dish" section). It is soooo good! It is great to eat as a side dish, but it is outstanding on PP sammies! Heck, I even put some on a burger. Great on that too!

Mike

Back