Balsamic

Nathan Bauer

TVWBB Fan
I got a bottle of really nice balsamic as a gift a few months ago. Problem is I have very little experience cooking with it. Any good ideas?

Yes. DON'T COOK WITH IT!

Really nice, aged Balsamic (especially vinegars labeled aceto balsamico tradizionale) are too complex to cook with. Think of it as a fine sauce to add to, literally, anything.

Here's some ideas:

-a drizzle over a perfectly grilled steak or chop adds acidity that cuts through the fat and a touch of sweetness that goes against the salt.

-a little on any vegetable dish as a finishing sauce brightens up the veggies.

-stir about a teaspoon into thick soups like pumpkin or potato to add spicy, nutmegy edge.

-pour it on very good vanilla ice cream for something that I think is better than chocolate sauce.

It really does go with everything. Just don't heat it up (let residual heat from the food do that) and don't use it in a vinaigrette because it'll get lost. And use it sparingly. We brought back 2 bottles of tradizionale from an acetaia in Modena almost 5 years ago, and we still haven't finished the first bottle. A little bit goes a LONG way!

Enjoy

Stan

How about a nice fresh caprese salad...
P1000787.jpg

I pretty much disagree. Many balsamics are labeled as tradizionale but it does not mean they are, are worthy of the designation, or need any special kid glove handing.

Some that are quite expensive (I have a few that run upwards of $150 for a tiny bottle) should not be messed with - and should be used rather sparingly - but there are dozens (most in fact) that do quite well in vinaigrettes and other dressings, in sauces (cooked or not), reduced into syrups, etc.

Kevin,

I'm going to have to disagree about tradizionale. If it's labeled aceto balsamico tradizionale, it's the real deal that takes 10-25 years to make. That's a protected name under EU and Italian law. It's like you can buy prosciutto from Costco, but you can't buy Prosciutto di Parma because it's an internationally protected term.

Actually, the minimum is 12 years. It can age for well over 25. There are two areas that produce tradizionale, Modena and Reggio Emilia and they differ in designation. Reggio Emilia uses a label color to denote age (red is 12-17 years, silver is at least 18 years up through 24 years; gold indicates 25 years or more. Modena uses a creamy white cap to denote vinegar that is at least 12 years old; a magenta cap for vinegar that is at least 25 years old.

Though I would not cook with the very old vinegar (extravecchio), the middle-aged vin is terrific as a sauce finish, the younger, more acidic vin is great for dressing for salad or in simple marinades.

I have used all three in many ways for almost 30 years. I would not discount the possibilities of cooking and/or mixing with it. No need to limits its potential, unless one's pocketbook is the concern.

The only time I use balsamic (basic store brand) is when I grill asparagus mixed with olive oil on the grill. It comes out well and the family enjoys the flavor, but that's the only time I would consider using it.

Back