Smoker Jacket

Dan Gilson

TVWBB Fan
I finally got it done!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I sewed up a jacket to use on my WSM when it gets cold. I used it this past weekend to cook up a couple chuck roasts which came out pretty darned good if you ask me!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

For the jacket I used welding blanket material for the inner layer. The welding blanket material cost about $10.00 per yard. For the outer layer I used some old mossy oak material that I had laying around. I believe that cost me about $7.00 per yard. I used Reflectix for the insulation between the two layers. I think the reflectix cost me about $25.00 for a 25 foot roll. I think I put about $45 into it.

I came up with a pattern which allowed me to cut some triangles out of one edge of the material to keep from having too many seams. I used my wife's portable sewing machine without too many issues. I sewed it inside out along the ends and along the cutouts. I then turned it right side out and slid the insulation in. Then I sewed it closed along the bottom edge. My sewing is not the best but it got the job done. I used snaps to close everything up.

Look here: http://usera.imagecave.com/3-Dogs_BBQ/Smoker_Jacket/ to see the jacket.

Look here: http://usera.imagecave.com/3-Dogs_BBQ/15_Jan_07/ to see the jacket in use.

It worked pretty well and there was plenty of charcaol left over after 6 hours of cooking.

I hope this can be of help to you folks who cook in cold weather!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Nice job! I like the weather shield for the Stoker, too - much better than the aluminum foil I've used.

Thanks for the compliments!!

The shield for the stoker blower was made out of some sheet metal that I had laying around and was attached to the blower adapter with some high temp foil tape used for ducts. The sheet metal was pliable enough for me to bend into shape with my hands and then just taped on.

Dan, from the looks of your deck thermometer this cook was like cooking in a heat wave compared to the last one
icon_wink.gif

Back