zest

Nathan Bauer

TVWBB Fan
I finally got around to trying Kevin's butt rub for Jane. I kicked the heat up a bit and was sitting here thinking that a little lemon zest would go great with it. A coupla questions I have...

Does zest store well? If so, how? (freeze or dry)I have no intention of storing as I just use fresh and only what I need. Just curious really but mabybe something I may want to try in the future.

Will fresh zest hold up if used in a rub for smoking? I worry the bright citrus notes won't hold up to long cooks. I've seen and heard of citrus rubs but I can't say I've ever made or remembered trying one.

Zest stores well. It is best to fridge it. If you have one, use a fine Microplane (or something similar) to zest your fruit. I usually allow it to dry on the counter then pulverize it into a powder, then fridge that. You can also fridge or freeze the fresh zest (if fridged before drying it will have a shorter shelf life).

The high, bright notes of citrus don't withstand long cooking well though other elements of the citrus flavor do. You can restore them by sprinkling on a little more zest (or more rub) a bit before the meat is done, or by using your rub in a finishing sauce that will get tossed with the meat during pulling - whatever serving sauce you're making to be served on the side.

There are other ingredients that also offer fruity, sour notes. Though lacking the bright highs of citrus, their use can boost the fruit/sour notes of citrus. Amchur, sumac, powdered vinegar are but three of these. Aleppo pepper is a chile with some heat, fruit and a bit of sour as well. Another possibility is lemon or lime juice powder - these do have the bright highs.

Back