New way to soak chips.

I saw this device at Expo Design Center (part of Home Depot) last weekend but it seems to be somewhat of an overkill just for soaking wood chips. I suppose it could have some other uses as well.

It's probably just another gadget to buy and then search around for when you need it and have forgotten where you put it last. However, since Weber makes it, I'll probably end up buying one - I really need to work on that.

It might make it a little easier to shake the water off the chips. Too much water left on them can have a bad effect of the briqs. I think a more helpful trick would be a way to see that the chips submerge rather than float on top of the water. That way they would be fully soaked and probably give a longer burn time.

Paul

I got a plastic cup (w/lid) from the NC ZOO when I ordered a drink. I've been using it for more than 5 yrs to soak wood chips in... Still works fine. No need for replacement.

The tall shape of a cup does keep almost all chips completely submerged.

My old coffee tins work fine, I just poke some holes in the plactic lid to drain out the liquid. An overkill gadget indeed.

I wonder where this product comes from, because it's not listed in the Accessories section of www.weber.com, and I've never seen it there in years past. Maybe a special promotional item?

Regards,
Chris

I picked up a 2005 Weber product line catalog about a month ago and this is in it. It said available January 2005. This is the only place I have seen it for sale. I am surprised its not on Amazon. I wonder if they are having second thoughts on distributing this product.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
Yes, it is. (Sort of...) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would hate to think that was my travel mug of coffee and take a swig of it.

IMO, anybody that would pay $10 for this would likely be someone who would go out and buy a newspaper just to light the charcoals... or maybe they just have too much money and no way to spend it all.

Ray

I got one as a gift and like it. That top with holes screws in and pushes the chips dwon under water lever to submerge then you just pour the water out, no mess no hassle

See - I just knew Weber wouldn't make a worthless product
icon_smile.gif
. Keeping the chips submerged is an advantage.

Paul

That is too funny! Another gadget to put on my list for the man that has everything! (Is that even possible?)

Help me out on this one. I read so many posts that say to soak is best and others say you don't have to. Is there a general consensus on this or is there a difference in opinion in regards to chips or chunks?

Soaking chips is more of a necessity than chunks, since they are rapidly consumed if you don't. Soaking chunks is an option, but not necessary-- the water doesn't get appreciably deep into them, anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
IMO, anybody that would pay $10 for this would likely be someone who would go out and buy a newspaper just to light the charcoals... or maybe they just have too much money and no way to spend it all.

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<hangs head>
I bought one...
I have yet to use it though. I'll keep you posted in case you have some money you want to blow...
icon_wink.gif

Want to quick-soak chips? Put 'em in a FoodSaver container with water and vacuum them. Stand maybe 5 or 10 minutes. Drain in a strainer.
icon_smile.gif

Rita

Actually this gadget works very well. It keeps all the chips submerged in the water, and I just pour the water into my drip pan if cooking indirect. the amount of water is about 3/4 of a large drip pan....I like this thing.

This is an old thread about the Weber Wood Chip Soaker. Some thought it was a waste of money and some liked it.

Any opinions now that it has been out for a couple of years?

I bought one on e-bay about six months ago and use it every time I use my WSM. Before that I used a plastic jug to soak chips, but pouring out water and not chips was a problem. I like the Weber Soaker's threaded strainer that holds the wood under water and also acts as a strainer.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000PSBAK6/thevirtualweberb

When I first saw it, I thought it was just another gadget to waste money on. Then, later, probably just because it had the name Weber on it, I ordered one - needed to get my order up enought to get a "free" cap or something ridiculous like that. Now, I LOVE IT. Makes soaking chips, which I only use on my kettle for direct or indirect grilling, easier and more efficient because the chips stay submerged.

Paul

Back