Smoked Catfish

G

'Afternoon All:
Being a good 'ol Southern boy I have many recipes for preparing catfish! I've never, however, read about anyone smoking these critters and since I have about 15 pounds just meowing to be cooked I thought I'd poll the group to see if anyone has ever smoked'em?
....John

Hi John,

Interestingly enough, I just watched a thing on the Food Network about some guys who smokes catfish and has them available mail order. He claimed to be the only smoked catfish retailer in the US.

He doesn't give anything away, but said that it is very difficult to do a good smoke catfish, and that's why no one does it.

What he did say (and other things I observed) were:

o Brine the cleaned catfish first - looked like just salt and water.
o Rinse well before smoking
o Seasoning looked like it was mostly pepper and salt. I'm sure you could add any herbs you want. He said that the pepper taste gets absorbed well by the catfish.
o Fish was dry/cold smoked over hickory sawdust, hung tail down.

Good luck, and let us know how it comes out.

k

Good morning all:
How good are smoked catfish???….in a word…fantastic!!! I modified a Weber Big Book of Grilling marinade (lemon juice, white wine, crushed red pepper and garlic) and allowed the fillets to soak for 4 hours after which I sprinkled with lemon pepper . Using just a chimney of Kingsford with pecan wood I smoked the fish for a little less than two hours at around 225 degrees. My usually finicky family devoured over five pounds and begged for more! The fillets were medium to large sized and came off the WSM very juicy and flavorful. They were so good (and easy to prepare) that the clan has asked for a repeat performance soon! And to Pat, I saved several smaller fillets for the oil!!
…John

Back