what pizza stone

ryanburns

TVWBB Member
So I have been grilling pizzas for awhile now and always just banked the coals to one side and tossed the dough on, flip, add toppings and cook the rest of the way. I want to pick up a pizza stone and am torn between the Big Green Egg and the Red Sky Grilling stone. Any recommendations? The BGE one seems thicker but I kind of like the shape of the Red Sky one. I would also like to use it in the oven.

Ryan,

You should check out the Primo Grills stone, it has a glazed finish and is really nice! I love mine for use in the Webers, Primo or in the oven.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Another vote for the Primo one. Be sure to get the glazed one. And be sure that your oven can fit the one you get.(for those blizzard nights)

i use the red sky stone - bought it earlier this year and have used it about a dozen times so far. works great! used it on my kettle and my gasser - no issues. honestly i prefer the gasser with a chunk of wood - guess i'm just being lazy.
Clean up is easy - just hit it with a clean wire brush. any organic stuff is just burned off. i'm sure the primo will also work well - but should you decide on the Red Sky i don't think you will be disappointed.

would a glazed stone still suck moisture from the dough to help make it more crispy?
Doesn't happen glazed or not. At 500 degrees the moisture is evaporating not being drawn in.
There's actually lot's of people moving to 1/2 steel plate instead of stones. Cuts down on pre-heat time and is more efficient in heat transfer to the crust. Thats great for oven use but not
sure that would be desirable in a grill set up. On my to try list.

Originally posted by M Krulee:
i use the red sky stone - bought it earlier this year and have used it about a dozen times so far. works great! used it on my kettle and my gasser - no issues. honestly i prefer the gasser with a chunk of wood - guess i'm just being lazy.
Clean up is easy - just hit it with a clean wire brush. any organic stuff is just burned off. i'm sure the primo will also work well - but should you decide on the Red Sky i don't think you will be disappointed.

I've been using the Red Sky stone as well, and love it. I've modified their directions a bit, putting a lesser amount of fuel beneath the stone, and placing a basket full of coals alongside it. This has produced thebest pizza I've made so far. Here is a link to my last pizza cook:

Mmmmm. Pizza.

I also have been using a Red Sky stone for about a year and love it. I have began laying a fire brick under each end of it to raise it up into the dome. Seems to help cook the toppings quicker.

Mike

I use the Green Egg pizza stone. It works great, its nice and heavy, I would highly recommend it. I think I went with the Green Egg as the Primo was more expensive, I liked the glaze piece of it but as I did my researched I read about the drawing of moisture and I thought if the Primo Stone is glazed over it wall not draw moisture, it would just get hot. Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Marc:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">would a glazed stone still suck moisture from the dough to help make it more crispy?
Doesn't happen glazed or not. At 500 degrees the moisture is evaporating not being drawn in.
There's actually lot's of people moving to 1/2 steel plate instead of stones. Cuts down on pre-heat time and is more efficient in heat transfer to the crust. Thats great for oven use but not
sure that would be desirable in a grill set up. On my to try list. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

have a source, or is the non-wicking talk just opinion?

Troy, I do (did) and I tried to find it before making the post for just the reason your asking. When I do, I'll post. But seriously think about it. Tell me how water is going to be wicked away in contact with 500 degree plus surface. Just can't happen. It sounds nice but from just can't happen. Again, one of the reasons that steel plate is becoming a popular alternative particularly in the low temp home ovens... Pre Heat is shorter and faster transfer of heat to dough.
Personally, in the oven (which I am fortunate in that it's from 1968 (electric) and will reach 675d) I prefer to just use a screen. No stone be it a "stone" or steel to heat and 4 to 5 min bake times. Nice color on top and bottom.
On the grill where we have all that bottom heat to contend with then a stone of some sort makes sense to me.

Some steel plate links:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/for...p/topic,12887.0.html
http://www.pizzamaking.com/for...p/topic,16144.0.html
http://www.pizzamaking.com/for...p/topic,16494.0.html

Back