Guru tape the top vent holes?

Anyone tape one or two of the top holes to restrict air flow?

I have heard people say that they run at 50% or 25% of the top vent, which I am not against doing, but I honestly worry about too much closure or not enough.

If I tape off two of the three holes at the top then it's math, not how subjective I think a percentage is. I know I am at 33%.

Anyone done this? Thoughts?

I don't,but when the WSM is up to temp, or close to it, I close the top vent to about 25%. Most often that is where it stays durning the entire cook.

The Guru does it's thing, and I rarely have to adjust vents or the fan's dampner.

Scott, I would strongly suggest that you don't do that. When you first fire up the WSM all that white smoke from when the wood and charcoal is starting to burn, and such needs to get out of there. You could set yourself up for soot issues, and some bad/bitter tasting food from improper air flow. Everybody that closes their top vent is doing so after the WSM comes up to temp and is burning cleanly. I often set my lid off the mid section by a 1/2" or so to help let out all the white smoke in the begining, and to get the wood burning properly. HTH

Back