Pork Belly recipe...

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
I'm wondering if this would "work"? Crispy Pressed Pork Belly Wouldn't the fat in the pork belly be kind of off putting when you eat it? I mean, don't get me wrong I'm not afraid of a little fat. But eating large chunks of it...hmm. But G. Ramsay is arguably one of the best chefs in the world, so he must know something I don't? Thoughts?

Edit 2/9/08: Youtube version was "removed due to terms of use violation" so I linked to the text form from another site.

Thanks for the link Phil, I saved that to my You Tube favorites.
icon_biggrin.gif
My guess is it woudn't be much different than eating bacon. That looked fantastic and I can't wait to try it.
icon_cool.gif

I often roast belly, sometimes after briefly curing it, sometimes not. Sometimes I cook as for confit, immersed in lard.

If you have the typical American taste vernacular, if you trim butts before smoking, cut 'excess' fat off spares (or prefer back ribs), etc., it's quite possible you wouldn't like it. If, like me, you don't trim butts (and, in fact, bemoan their relative leanness compared to pork of just a few years ago), love real carnitas or pork confit, prefer the fattier spares over the leaner backs, you might enjoy it as much as I do. Roasted fat isn't at all like lard. It's relatively firm with crispy surfaces. But there's no doubt you're eating fat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I often roast belly, sometimes after briefly curing it, sometimes not. Sometimes I cook as for confit, immersed in lard.

If you have the typical American taste vernacular, if you trim butts before smoking, cut 'excess' fat off spares (or prefer back ribs), etc., it's quite possible you wouldn't like it. If, like me, you don't trim butts (and, in fact, bemoan their relative leanness compared to pork of just a few years ago), love real carnitas or pork confit, prefer the fattier spares over the leaner backs, you might enjoy it as much as I do. Roasted fat isn't at all like lard. It's relatively firm with crispy surfaces. But there's no doubt you're eating fat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had a friend of mine tell me once, "I just can't get of the fact that you're eating fat.". I told him, "I can't get over the fact that you can't eat delicious.".
icon_biggrin.gif

Once or so a fortnight/month is not going to hurt you, on the contrary it is good for you. You eat smoked meat and charred meat, can you tell me that that is perfectly good for you with no long term adverse effects given all the studies that have been done.

I do a pork belly simmered in coke for 2 1/2 hours then roasted with a BBQ Sauce glaze for 20 minutes. It is absolutely fantastic and the belly is so full of flavour.

I guess that you just have to try these things first not analyse them.

Regards

Update: I have not forgot about this wonderful looking recipe. Since I found a good local source for bellies, I'll be doing this one up soon, it might be next week.
icon_biggrin.gif

The link that Phil posted has been removed from You Tube due to a violation, swearing would be my guess. I was going to make this soon and wanted to watch the video again when I saw it had been removed. Well no worries I found it here along with the recipe. Link to pressed pork belly.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Game on! I'll let you know how it turns out.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This must be where you're gonna post all the pics you take, right??
icon_cool.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Game on! I'll let you know how it turns out.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This must be where you're gonna post all the pics you take, right??
icon_cool.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No Bill. I'm doing this Gordon Ramsay Pressed Belly in the oven. Also smoking my maple bacon (done) and doing beef ribs and a brisket they are on now. It's been a very busy day for me, forgot to mention the pressed belly in my email. Maple bacon pics will be posted here.
icon_biggrin.gif

OK the belly is done and it smelled awsome while baking. When I was putting the foil on it to go into the oven I said I'm not sure how this is going to get all golden brown like the one in the video, seems I should leave the foil off. Well I didn't and it didn't so I got some color on it under the broiler. Next time I'll do it without foil, or maybe take the foil off for the last hr. Anywho let me tell you that garlic sitting in a inch of pork belly fat for 2 hrs got a nice light brown color on it and tastes out of this world. I used the odd end of the belly piece, tail end of the whole belly I bought yeasterday. I got a nice square to make Rytek's Honey bacon and figured I try the pressed belly with the leftover. Let me tell you when I took this out of the oven and the smell hit me I had to whack off a piece and smear some garlic on it and try it. Only one word describes this dish. FANTASTIC!!!! well actually 2 words, but I can't post the one that goes in front of fantastic.
icon_biggrin.gif
It's in the fridge being pressed and I'll cook it up and eat it tomorrow.
Here's a pic of it.
KESUC-PressedBelly.jpg

Back