Lid hold down mod on OTG/OTS

Anyone know a good way to secure the lid on a OTG/OTS to make it portable? Besides ropes and bungees?

Considering cutting the legs down to make a homemade SJP...

Chris,

Don't cut the legs. Just make new legs out of 1/2" pipe.

You can order the parts from Weber for the lid latch but it would be cheaper to buy a SJP, if you can find one, and rob the parts from it.

It's worth it. I get a ton of use out of this little baby and loads of questions and complements.
DSC03216.jpg

chris, what i have been mentioning is to modify an 18 kettle like this rather than messing with an sjp. just an observation and anyone can modify what they want anyway they want.

I wouldn't pay $79 for a SJP. Take your time and look around for one. A lot of the ACE hardware stores still have some on the shelves. I can get one for $49 at an ACE near me. Or you can wait for a deal on CL or Ebay.
The parts you need from the SJP are the lid w/handle and hold down wire w/washers.

Thank you for the complement George.

Yeah, I was going to try to find a deal, but I've seen them become less and less available. I figured I'd bite the bullet and get one before they are all gone.

Originally posted by David Presley:
Chris,

Don't cut the legs. Just make new legs out of 1/2" pipe.

You can order the parts from Weber for the lid latch but it would be cheaper to buy a SJP, if you can find one, and rob the parts from it.

It's worth it. I get a ton of use out of this little baby and loads of questions and complements.
DSC03216.jpg

David, did the lid latch you use for this OTS mod come from an Jumbo or Platinum Joe?

I called Weber today to order this part and they stated it wouldn't work on the OTS. Strange...

Sorry to bring an old post to the top but I'm planning to do this and was hoping to see if anybody had any advice that would help with the process. I just bought an 18.5 OTS. I plan to cut the legs, install a lid lock wire ($3.50), and I would like to add the lid lock support ($3) also to use as a lid holder. According to weber to get the handle with the notches I have to buy the whole lid for $35 but I think this is the right one. What do you guys think? Anybody who's done this before have any tips to make the process go smooth?

Thanks!

Not much to lose, eh?

BTW, I love the SJP for camping and tailgating.

I ended up adding vents BELOW the grate
DSC01740.JPG

and added a thermo
DSC01743.JPG

It can get HOT for steaks.
DSC02203.JPG

Originally posted by JustinL:
Sorry to bring an old post to the top but I'm planning to do this and was hoping to see if anybody had any advice that would help with the process. I just bought an 18.5 OTS. I plan to cut the legs, install a lid lock wire ($3.50), and I would like to add the lid lock support ($3) also to use as a lid holder. According to weber to get the handle with the notches I have to buy the whole lid for $35 but I think this is the right one. What do you guys think? Anybody who's done this before have any tips to make the process go smooth?

Thanks!

I did this mod a few years ago and it was pretty straight forward. I would suggest you call Weber directly for the handle that has the notches. I am fortunate enough to live in Chicago and simply went to the factory outlet store for my handle. But doing that I realized you can, in fact, order it. Weber is very good about shipping parts like this.

I know there is a thread out there with step by step instruction. I'll see if I can find it. I took a few pics of my DIY mod. I'll see if I can locate those as well...

Back