Weber Kettle Gas Conversion Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Flanagan

TVWBB Member
I was thinking of purchasing the Weber Gas Conversion Kit for my Weber kettle. Anyone have any experience or opinions on this or similar kits? I suspect gas would work out much cheaper than briquettes in Australia, and it would definitely be more convenient and clean. Weber's site claims "a roast cooked using the gas kit is virtually indistinguishable from a roast cooked using charcoal". I figured a chunk or two of smoking wood would then take it that extra distance. I've never cooked on gas, so this would be something new for me.

If anyone has the kit, or has done a similar conversion, I would love to ask them some questions!

There's no such thing here in the U.S., so you're limited to responses from other folks in Australia. Hopefully someone can share their experience.

Regards,
Chris

Really? That might explain why I can't find any info on the 'Net! Too late anyway, I've already leapt in! Seeing as how I'm on a week off I thought I'd see how it goes. Problem number one was that it was not made such that you could easily fit to my Weber (a Master-Touch?). I had to modify it so that I could reattach the ash pan section. Mind you I only wanted to get it back on there for looks really. I had to spin it round to the back and cut a hole in the fascia for the gas line. Looks reasonable now, but I've discovered the gas fitting doesn't match my little old camping cylinder. I'll rectify that one tomorrow...

You can read a little on the kit at Weber's local site at:

Weber Gas Kit

If it asks you for a postcode, you can put in mine (4152), hopefully they'll think there's a lot of interested people in my area and build a Weber showroom on my street! ;-)

Also for those interested, the kit was a total success! Cooked a chicken last night and it came out GREAT! The instructions state to put the smoking wood directly over the side burners. I found this really didn't produce that much smoke, I think the system is designed such that there is enough oxygen to allow the gas to burn efficiently, which means wood will burn more than smoke too. But I also put some wood in a smoke box and put it over the other burner, which worked great.

I think this is going to be MUCH cheaper than briquettes too. Picked up a large 9kg (20 lb) LP cylinder and I don't think the cook even made a dent in it. Unfortunately I didn't weight the cylinder beforehand, so I'm not sure how much of those 9 kilos were used.

Here's a closer photo of the kit installed on my BBQ for those interested:

Gas Kit Photo (150 kb)

Sean, Nice, Real Nice. Do you wax the Kettle. Wish mine looked that good.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Nope, but thanks Bryan! LOL I did give it a wipe down when I installed the kit though. The last couple times I used it I forgot to put a drip tray down, so needless to say it was a messy job and I got black ashy grease on everything by the time I was done.

Guess I'm too used to the WSM now, which is the reason I thought of converting the kettle in the first place. That way I have the best of both worlds; the ultimate in charcoal with the WSM; and the convenience, cost and cleanliness of gas with the kettle (but still with that kettle barbecue taste).

So far I'm very happy with the results, there's obviously been some serious design and development time put in to designing the kit.

I know this is an old thread but has anyone in the US been able to get their hands on one of these kettle gas kits? Either buying it online from somewhere in Australia or by another method?

I would really like to get one of these kits but have been unsuccessful in finding one since they don't sell them in the US...
Thanks in advance

Evan
I have asked Weber Australia for A copy of the installation manual for the gas conversion kit.
Send me your email address and I will send it to you.
The Gas kit is $AUD100.00 I don't know how much the freight is but if you wan't one I will purcyhase one on your behalf and send it to you. I think it weighs about 3 Kgs (6.6 lb).
My email address is in my profile.

Regards

Hi Guys, my first time post, please let us know how the gas conversion kit works out
I would love to turn my 22 inch into a gas assist but would be curious about the
gas conversion..

Anthony

Originally posted by Anthony W.:
Hi Guys, my first time post, please let us know how the gas conversion kit works out
I would love to turn my 22 inch into a gas assist but would be curious about the
gas conversion..

Anthony

Anthony
The gas conversion kit I great for indirect cooking, however you only really have two heat settings, I have Demonstrated with it a few times when we have had total fire bans (you can use gas but not charcoal or briquettes) Cooking times are the same as a normal fire. There is very little taste difference in flavours but you have the convenience of instant heat at a lower cost and less cleaning. You can add a smoke flavour by using a cast iron smoking box or foil with chips. The gas fitting to the bottle is different but you sholud be able to modify or change for a few dollars.

Regards

judging from pictures, id think the gas line gets routed through one of the vent holes in the bottom of the grill... id doubt they would advocate drilling holes in the kettle, if possible..

Thanks Phil, look forward to seeing the PDF file
Evan, pictures what pictures, I blinked, where
are the pictures..

Anthony

sorry no pics.... just the ones ive seen on the web (which are small and blurry)... I will definitely post/send pics when I try the conversion ...(provided Phil is nice enough to procure me a kit
icon_smile.gif
I am giddy with anticipation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back