My favorite hushpuppies

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Here's my favorite hushpuppy recipe, as originally printed in "Sylvia's Family Soul Food Cookbook", pg 201. I've tried a lot of different versions over the years, but this one tops them all, in my opinion. I've used this recipe many MANY times, and have found only two adjustments for my Okie tastes: I add 2 tablespoons of sugar instead of the 2 teaspoons called for, and I find that I have to add about 1/4 cup more dry ingredients or else it's a bit too thin. I usually add an additional 1/8 cup each flour and cornmeal. I also replace the green bell pepper with jalapeno pepper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sylvia Wood's Hushpuppies from Hemingway, SC

1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1/4 cup vegetable oil, for frying
3/4 cup minced onion
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper

Blend dry ingredients. Beat together milk, eggs, and 2 Tbs of the oil. Stir in the flour mixture, then the onions and peppers. In a large skillet heat 1/4 cup oil. Drop the batter by 2 rounded tablespoonsful into the skillet [or deep-fat fryer]. Fry until browned on the bottom, for about 2 minutes. Turn and brown on the other side, for about 1 minute longer. [I use a cast iron dutch oven and more oil, heated to about 375. I just deep-fry them, usually in the same oil that I fried catfish. They flip themselves over when they're deep-frying. kc]

Keri C, smokin on Tulsa Time

I love the hushpuppies that have a little sweetness to them. Here in the CArolina's people fight over hushpuppies like they do
sauces and meats! Do they even eat hushpuppies out in the midwest?

Ooooh son, good hushpuppies are a notch in anyone's belt here in OK and TX. Seems making good ones is almost a lost art. I think most folks under 30 believe that the only place you can have hushpuppies is at a catfish joint, of which there are many in this area.

My recipe above is just a bit sweet, and they puff up nicely into a pretty round ball that's good and crunchy on the outside, and moist and tender inside. I'm kin to everyone around Johnsonville, Hemingway, and Murrells Inlet, so I guess a love of hushpuppies is in my blood. <grin>

Keri C

Keri, great recipe!! Thanks for adding!!

I made these this weekend to go with my BBQ and my wife LOVED them! She always has to have ketchup with her hushpuppies, but not these!! She said she wouldn't dream of adding ketchup to them!!

Thanks again!

Thanks so much Teri for the recipe...my Mom was from TN and I spent a lot of years in the Carolinas, so I have an EXTREME fondness for Hushpuppies, fried green Tomatoes, and fried Okra.
I haven't had a good hushpuppy in a few years, but if you ever get to Florida, Conch is on every menu (and Grouper, which I love), and a favorite is Conch Fritters, which is a glorified Hushpuppy with chopped Conch meat...my God they're good!!
best I've had is a small sports bar in Hollywood Florida called "Shenanigans" across from a State Park called "T Y" park.
Second best is a Florida chain called "Shells"

Okay I need help here. I did the hushpuppies tonight. Should have reread the top part. So I struggled thru. My question is what is a good dipping sauce for these things? What do you prefer if your a dipper?

Well actually we used Butta but having hushpuppies for the first time we didn't know. I actually thought of trying some Maple syrup. I did dip it in some mustard but think butta tasted better. Plus my sugar measurement was less cause I didn't reread the recipe which made them kinda bland. My knowledge of hushpuppies I thought was made with fish. I am not a fish eater its a long story but I got sick from fish in Germany and haven't been able to bring myself to eat fish again. lol

OMG...you 2 are killing me!!
Just kidding
icon_biggrin.gif

In the South, Hushpuppies are dipped in Tartar sauce...however...
I like mine with added Horseradish, and a bit of Hot Sauce (Crystal, Cholula, Tabasco etc.)
a little Molasses or Honey, a touch of Balsamic Vinegar...add an extra bit of Duke's Mayo!
MMMMMMMMMMMM

Oooof! You got me, Michael! I concede....you're right. Tartar sauce really is the best, and fried catfish. But butta is second-best for us. I've been here a looooong time (since the days of Lester Maddox, "Is everything Pickrick?," if anyone remembers him from antiquity). I must have momentarily reverted to my ex-Yankee roots. Your kicked-up tartar sauce sounds great and I'll have to make a note of it.

Sorry -- lost my head.
icon_eek.gif

Rita

Shucks...I was just playing
icon_smile.gif

Funny thing is, growing up I didn't even know what Tartar Sauce was, 'cause my Mom didn't like it, so we always just used Mayo!
There's a restaurant here in FL called "Shells" and their sauce for their Conch Fritters is great, similar to Tartar, but different...wish I could figure it out to make my own.
And I LOVE fried Catfish!!
In the Carolinas, they take small, whole fish, dip the whole thing in a cornmeal batter heavy on black pepper and fry 'em...you eat the meat off the bones just like eating corn-on-the-cob.
Damn I'm hungry!!

Keri,
Thanks for another great recipe!
Could you give an approximate yield based on how you 'dip 'em and drop 'em'?

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
You burn your front yard rather than mow it.

Hmmm... well, close to 3 dozen or so, probably. Since we've been doing the Weight Watchers thing since last March, hushpuppies have been few and far between. I HAVE lost just a hair under 75 lb now, though!

Keri C

Hi Keri! Glad to see you're back! I sent you an email last Monday to see if all was OK, but it just bounced back today (Thurs.). I hope we'll be seeing more of you in the future than we've seen since Christmas.
icon_smile.gif

Rita

Keri, I just re-read your post. Omigosh! That's incredible! Congratulations! You are giving me the incentive (read that as a kick in the butt) that I needed.
Rita

Hi, Rita. Yes, if you used my old e-mail address of keri at gbronline.dot com, that ISP went out of business. I'm now keri-c at cox dot net.

75 lb has sure made a difference in the way I feel. I still have my fat cheeks and an extra chin, but I'm gettin' there, slowly but surely. And I'm NOT giving up BBQ to do it!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
(Well, okay, maybe I have sworn off bbq for the moment, but that's only because there's a severe drought here with a very serious burn ban right now...)

Try me again at keri-c at cox dot net OR at kcathey at cox dot net.

Keri C, still NOT smokin' on Tulsa Time

I made them today, tasted excellent,
however some came out a little oil soggy.

I used a wok however I suspect it was not heating the oil evenly.

What is the secret to frying and getting the right crisp and less soggy ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lennard Kong:
What is the secret to frying and getting the right crisp and less soggy ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Temperature. Your suspicion is likely correct. Temps lower than 350 can cause batters of this type to absorb oil. If deep-frying, heat the oil to 375, stirring as it heats. Cook just a few hushpuppies at a time so that the oil temp does not drop dramatically.

Alternatively, cook in a smaller pan or pot (cast iron is good if you have one) and use less oil so that you cook just one side at a time.

Back