chuck roasts - gimee some ideas!

dean

TVWBB Pro
I have been trying different things with these lately. I can't seem to get a brisket to turn out good. I have been using chuck roasts on the wsm for about a year now and they are great. How do you all do chucks on your wsm ??

To me they're rather different, briskets and cuts from the chuck. Briskets, cooked right, slice very well and stay nicely intact. Many chuck cuts not so much.

If you haven't, try brisket at high heat.

I only do pulled beef infrequently and for that I use chuck, usually a hunk of shoulder clod or chuck roll. Mostly when I do chuck it's a smoke-braise sort of thing as I like the additional ingredients. I rub then smoke. Then I add various things to the foil or pot once smoking is completed - onions, garlic, reduced wine, sometimes dried chilies and/or dried fruit, or a combination. When the chuck is tender I remove it, somewhat defat the contents of the pot, then purée it to use as the sauce.

For pulled beef I do a similar thing (smoke, then foil), the meat well rubbed, but skip the additions).

This describes a common approach I use, varying the additions for different cooks; this is typical for pulled beef.

Back