Smoked salt??

michele p

TVWBB Pro
I just saw an episode of Giada DeLorentis and she was using smoked salt in her recipe.
Anyone ever try this? Just curious.

Thanks for the link to that thread, it was very interesting.
I think I am going to try and smoke some salt.
I think it can add depth to many things.
Prior to the show I mentioned, I had never even heard of smoked salt.

Yes, it can add much depth. And it is nice as a little extra, i.e., rather than put on by you for service, instead serve each guest a little bowl of the smoked salt alongside their plate. They won't knowwhat it is at first, and will enjoy using it themselves.

You can smoke salt and other things (as I noted i do in the thread linked above). I use a cheap perforated pizza pan. Works well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Yes, it can add much depth. And it is nice as a little extra, i.e., rather than put on by you for service, instead serve each guest a little bowl of the smoked salt alongside their plate. They won't knowwhat it is at first, and will enjoy using it themselves.

You can smoke salt and other things (as I noted i do in the thread linked above). I use a cheap perforated pizza pan. Works well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea!

I used to buy smoked salt in the grocery store for years. I've been smoking my own for a while now using the soldering iron and tin can method in my weber kettle. I use sea salt because I think the irregular contour takes the smoke better, and put it on a cheap Walmart wire splatter shield. Much better flavor than store bought.

I have some applewood smoked salt that is a wonderful flavor enhancer. I bought it on a whim at a TJ Maxx store with lots of discontinued food items. Definitely a keeper.

Ray

Back