burner direction

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
i know this has been discussed but didn't pay attention at the time. what is the pro and cons of the burners being left to right vs front to back like weber. seems to me that left to right makes more sense but weber must have very good reasons for the front to back style. i'm starting to look for a good used old weber but want to make sure i don't regret it. thanks,

George
Just to confuse you even more - The Weber Genesis Range burners run right to left and the Summit Range run front to back. If you intend to do a lot of roasting or low and slow on the gasser then the Summit is the better model as you only use the far left and far right burners.
Apart from that the Genesis is not as wide which is good if space is a problem.
The Genesis is a great toy and the 2007 model is the best yet, however the 2007 Summit has a smoker box and an infrared burner for the rotis.

I am sure that all owners of a 2007 model Summit will agree that they are the "bees knees" and would recommend them to anyone.

Regards

Although I rarely use my Genesis anymore, I do wish the burners ran from front to back when doing indirect cooking. If you're cooking anything of any size I feel this would allow for more space from the burners. Don't get me wrong, I've used her for about 14 years and she's done great, just like the setup on the Summit better.

Anymore I pretty much use my Genesis for quick chicken pieces or veggies. Everything else is done over charcoal.

I would think having the burners lerft to right would make it easier to do an indirect cook. That is the way mine is set up and I either light both ends and use the midde or I light on end and use the other 3/4's of the grill.

There are two issues with the Genesis' left to right burners.

One is they have the knobs on the side of the grill, and a lot of people object to wasting that extra real estate for the knobs, where burners that go front to back can have the knobs tucked out of the way along the front of the grill.

The other issue is indirect cooking, where on the Genesis your indirect area is a narrow but long strip down the middle of the grill. If the burners were front to back, you could cook with one burner and have over half the grill surface available. Of course, if you cooked on the Genesis with only the back burner, you would have a lot of real estate left for indirect cooking, although typically you use the front and rear at the same time.

The front to back seems like it would be the better configuration, but keep in mind there are times when the middle section works out better, especially if you are cooking with a rotisserie. Since the rotisserie runs left to right over the center burner, you can leave that burner off, use the front and back, and cook along the entire length of the spit.

Back