just when i thought i had my mind made up on a stoker or digiQ2

Darn it... I knew I should have patented my program
icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, I am not seeing anything in there that we don't already have with stoker and then some (from the picture, looks like they have limited number of probes)....

It's still a no brainer. Stoker can control more than 2 pits and it's functions can be extended by software. I think the new device was quoted as $60 more then the Digi II so that would make it just over $300.

A stoker with a pit and food probe is $225. The decision is quite easy to make.

-rob

Just checked out the link. I have to preface this with the fact that I am a very happy Stoker user and more than somewhat of a smartaxx...

Wow...control two pits. Are they really highlighting that? Stoker will control three or more easily and has for years.

Wait wait...here is something new and unique to the Cyber Q. With custom software it will display graphs and will stop the fan if it detects the lid is opened. That is fantastic. I sure wish Amir had thought of that functionality in his Stokerlog program (which is FREE).

And the last smart-alec thought I have is what if you are cooking on three cookers. I use 3 WSM for competition cooking and with the Guru Cyber Q I would still need to buy 2 units.

With all that said I think the Guru is a solid unit for what it does. But if you are looking for ease of use (when using the computer interface), internet capability with remote viewing and control, and the ability to control and monitor multiple cooks from one controller then the Stoker is the only game in town.

Eh..but who am I? Just me and my thoughts.

sorry i brought it up. i thought some satisfied BBQ Guru customers might be interested in this. wasn't trying to start a debate over what product is better. for me the new guru would be more than i would ever need, even if i got the BGE i want. and since i already have the fan and mount for my etemp, i would only need the base unit making it a cheaper purchase for me.the statements about "only game in town" and "no brainer" are pretty ridiculous imo. not everyone has the same wants and needs.

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, Rob is a satisfied Guru user.

Just read the post from Guru's site and one thing that would have me a little concerned is it mentions "USB interface allows monitoring and control from your PC or over the Internet." So does this mean it does not support an Ethernet option for hard-wiring? Is there a USB to to Ethernet converter?

Originally posted by Tony C.:
the statements about "only game in town" and "no brainer" are pretty ridiculous imo. not everyone has the same wants and needs.
Well said Tony. I have no use for a Stoker, but I'm sure they are great units if you want all the fuss. For me, my going on 6 years old Guru Competitor is plenty for what I need it to do. Keep the WSM going for when I'm sleeping, at work or not around to tend it.
icon_smile.gif

Tony, my tounge in cheek post was not meant to cast aspersions (i shouldn't use words I can't spell) on the Guru. I just found humor in their announcement of functionality already in existence and even surpassed by a directly competing product. Thats all. And I 100% agree with your statement that not everyone has the same wants or needs. But it cannot be argued that there is another ATC out there that will control 3 or more pits thru a web interface. If you don't have the need or don't care to do that then perhaps the Stoker isn't the top of the list. I understand the guru is easier to operate from the controller.

And thanks for the addy of the HD with the briquetts!!! I am heading to the beach tomorrow to pick some up for a test cook on Sunday.

Only know about the Stoker and StokerLog, but one thing that I have found, in the middle of a cook, if I have a question, I post it here and Amir (creator of StokerLog) has the answer for me within an hour or so. Every time I’ve called John (creator of Stoker), he has answered my questions and provided me with a solution.

And thanks for the addy of the HD with the briquetts!!! I am heading to the beach tomorrow to pick some up for a test cook on Sunday.

i just picked up 2 butts for sunday so i'll be going to that HD tomorrow too. interested to see how this new K compares to my preffered RO lump.

This has kind of changed the subject but continues the conversation with Tony...

I just got back from Sams Club and they had the bone in pork butt for $1.79 and some beautiful fresh spare ribs already st louis trimmed for $1.77/pound.

For those interested, I just received an email with some new information on the CyberQ II (I am a stoker user myself!)

We are currently developing the next generation of controls in our product line. The all new CyberQ II is on the verge of being released to the market. With the overwelming response of the new digital control, the DigiQ II, we will be discontinuing the analog Pit Minder E temp. The new Digital controls are extremely easy to use and are our most advanced controls to date. Some features of the CyberQ II are:

• Super compact control allows you to control up to two pits simultaneously

• Four thermocouple probes allow you to monitor two pits and two food items

• USB interface allows monitoring and control from your PC or over the Internet

• Digital alphanumeric 8 character x 2 line LCD display with user-selectable backlight time

• Audible alarm sounds on over/under temp, food done, timeout and other user-settable conditions

• Real-time fan status and percent output indication helps you to measure fuel use

• Open Lid Detect

• Adaptive Control Algorithm

• Super User menu for advanced users

• User-settable "low and slow" ramp down feature

• User-settable cook timer gives alarm, shuts down your pit, or will hold the pit at the temperature you specify

This control will be available soon. Please check the website for the announcement. www.thebbqguru.com

Here we go again...

I got the same email. A $225 Stoker with StokerLog software has more functionality then the new $300 Cyber QII as it was described in this email. Plus the Stoker's functions can be extended with custom software.

-rob

Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
Here we go again...

I got the same email. A $225 Stoker with StokerLog software has more functionality then the new $300 Cyber QII as it was described in this email. Plus the Stoker's functions can be extended with custom software.

-rob

was there really a need to post the same thing you already posted 2 days ago? maybe some existing guru users would like to get the base model since they already have the mount and fan? i really should change my topic to "i have made my mind up on a new ATCS" some of the "stokerheads" here are really turning me off to it.

Tony,

You can spend your money as you wish. Get both if you want. I did, although it's not a Cyber QII. I'm sure the Guru guys have put alot of thought into the user interface of their device so there's an advantage on their side.

BTW, what are you using while you are undecided? Me and a couple of other guys are working on a version of the Guru Pitminder whose total cost is around the $20 - $25 mark. I hope to get a test burn in this weekend on the BGE. The Super Cheap Auto Temp System (SCATS) project thread is located here:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9270072103/m/4270091095

Seeing as how guru is discontinuing the Pitminder maybe others could benefit from this project. For me it's just a backup unit I can connect to my truck battery if I'm at a contest and the power goes out. This happened twice last year.

-rob

i currently have a pitminder etemp. if i decide to upgrade i will probably sell the etemp to someone here cheap if they want to buy the fan and mount from bbgguru.com. and the easy user interface is probably what will sway me to the guru. i'm a duct man not a network tech. people in the know tell me it will be available on their site monday.

Back