Smokey Joe -Should I?

Pat Barnes

TVWBB Pro
My wife and I love grilled veggies,especially this time of year when our veggie/herb garden is
cranking out toms and eggplant along with fresh basil,thyme(2 types)oregano,etc.If I am grilling some pork chops,chicken breasts or shrimp on the 22.5 kettle its not a problem to throw the veggies on while the meat rests. That being said,we sometimes would like to just grill the veggies as a side for something we cook in the house.Coming from "poor peasant stock" I hate build a fire in the 22.5" for about 5 mins of grilling and waste the rest. Would the SJ silver or gold be a good investment to go with my Kettle and WSM. Sorry this turnes out so long.

I prefer the SJ Platinum because of the larger size. The con is it costs more and is heavier to carry. It will use a little more charcoal, but not much. Also, you can get the SJ Silver or Gold pretty easy but probably would have to order the Platinum. I solved the problem - I have both.

Paul

Pat,

I think it would be a great investment. I have a regular, little Smokey Joe and use it almost as much as my 22.5" kettle. It's great when you just want to do a few hamburgers or any smaller amount of food. I usually use it when doing a single tri-tip for the family.

You'll be surprised how few coals you can use and still get the job done. Go for it, you can never have too many toys or outdoor cooking equipment!

Good Luck,

Rick

Pat:

Half can/chimney of coals to one side of the Kettle. Or yes, a Lil' Smokey Joe. or an Hibachi. Just about anything for the grilled veggies.

I love my smokey joes! (I have two black ones, plus a yellow simpson's tenth anniversary one, d'oh!)

Definitely will let you get away with using just a wee bit of fuel, but as mentioned above, a hibachi will use even less. BUT...the smokey joe is more versatile cuz of its cover.

Maybe think about the new Baby "Q". I have a "Q" and it's awesome. Then you have a great portable gas grill that can serve as a patio grill for those times when you don't have time to fire up charcoal. I would also recommend a 'Grill Wok" for about $10

Pat,

I have the SJ silver along with the 22.5 kettle (gold). Tonight I lit up both in order to cook the kabobs (numerous)on the kettle and to grill some Vidalias over the SJ. It is great having both to use. It is like having an extra burner on the stove when you need it...yeah I like to cook indoors as well...but only when we are under a tornado watch.

Tom

I would use the WSM you already own. Put a half chimney on the side and put the lower grate on the charcoal ring. I have grilled alot of things on the WSM with great sucess.

Speaking of the Simpson's Anniversary Grills, does anyone know where I might find a 22 1/2" New?

I know, this has been discontiued for a while. You never know....

AG:

Don't know about the 22.5" but I just bought a Simpsons Lil' Smokey Joe (new) for my son-in-law on eBay. May have paid toooo much but hey, he's worth it.

I've only seen one big one on ebay (and I watch for them, so don't look for tips from me when I see one, lol), and it went for $365. Eeesh.

Tons of simpsons smokey joes on there right now, tho.

Back