Potential sauce recipe

Chris W.

TVWBB Pro
I'm just getting into making my own sauces. Last night, I made a batch of Fat Johnny's Bastardized Peidmont sauce ( click for link). I haven't had a chance to try it on food yet, but after moving it off the stove, I dipped my finger in to see if it was still warm and tasted my finger after. It was great and I really liked it. The only thing of the recipe I don't like is the fact that I have to use someone else's BBQ sauce in it. I'm looking for something I can make from scratch and really call my own.

Awhile back I used the No. 5 sauce as a finishing sauce for a pork butt (again, click for link). I enjoyed the sauce, but found it not spicy enough, and have decided to use it as a take-off for my own sauce. Before making it up and finding I hated it, I wanted to get people's opinion on how it might come out and if I'm using approximately the right amount of extra ingredients. I want to make the No. 5 sauce a bit more spicy than it is, but not too terribly spicy. Somewhere between the No. 5 sauce and the Fat Johnny's sauce in terms of spiciness would be good.

EDIT: An update recipe reflecting Kevin Kruger's input is in a post further down the thread. You might want to jump to that. \EDIT

My recipe is below:

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 Tablespoon onion powder

Does anyone think this might have too much spiciness in it? When I tasted Fat Johnny's sauce, I liked it, but the real test will be the ribs this Sunday. I know this recipe shouldn't be as spicy as Fat Johnny's, but it should be more spicy than the No. 5 sauce, which is what I'm going for - something in the middle of those two sauces.

What does everyone think? Is this worth attempting? Would you make any changes to any of the quantities?

No, not too spicy. It lacks depth as well, but I'm not sure what you're shooting for.

I'd ditch the mustard as it adds nothing as written. If you want mustard's flavor then it needs to be treated differently.

You'll get heat but no flavor from the crushed red and cayenne. Fine, if that's all you're looking for. For chile flavor though you'd want to switch these. Me, I'd switch the cayenne to 3/4-1 tsp of chipotle (for heat plus smokiness) and drop the crushed in favor of 2-3 tsp of ground guajillo.

The tang and acidity of the Worcestershire and vin will offset some of the sugar's and ketchup's sweetness. You can adjust this by adding more sugar (or a different sweetener) or more vin afterwards.

I'd likely add garlic and a little thyme. Much can be gained by using fresh aromatics in simple sauces so I'd go that route: In a small pot melt 1 tsp butter into 1 tsp neutral oil over med-high heat. Add 3 tbsp finely minced or grated onion and cook, stirring frequently till the onion starts to brown a bit, several minutes. Stir in 1/2 tsp well-crushed dried thyme. Add 1 or 2 cloves finely minced (or pressed) garlic and cook till it is fragrant, about 30 secs, stirring constantly, then add whatever chilies you've decided on, the pepper, 1/4 t ginger powder and 1/2 t granulated onion. Stir well 15-20 secs then deglaze the pot with either a splash of pineapple juice (my choice) or a splash of vinegar. Stir, reduce the heat to medium, add the ketchup, sugar, Worcestershire, vinegar, and bring to a simmer. Cook 5-10 min, partially covered. Adjust salt and sweetness. Add a little cayenne or chipotle if you want more heat. Cool.

(If you'd like a mustard flavor addition you can do one of two things. A couple minutes after the sauce is off the heat stir in 1-2 tsp prfepared mustard (I'd recommend Dijon, English or a brown mustard), or, just before starting the sauce, mix together in a tiny bowl 1 tsp mustard powder with 1 tsp cold water and let its flavor develop while you're making the sauce. Add as noted above, after the sauce is off heat. Heat destroys mustard's flavor.)

Thanks for the detailed response, Kevin! This is really my first foray into making any rub or sauce of my own (I've always used recipes before), and I don't know the subtleties of many spices yet (like cayenne and red pepper adding heat but no flavor, for example). Having an experienced guy like you help out makes me feel alot better about this.

I'm not looking for a terribly sweet sauce, as that's not what I care for. I'm going for something slightly sweet, with a bit of kick, but I also don't want it getting too spicy. I'm looking for something that I would enjoy eating and not feel bad serving to people that might not care for really spicy things. I understand there are some people that can't take any heat at all, but I'm not worrying about them.

By the way, what kind of taste does ginger bring to the recipe? I've not really used ginger before and have no idea what it's taste is like.

I really like the fact that you walked me through the process of cooking the sauce. That really helps me out. My updated recipe is below.

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
3 Tablespoon minced onion
1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
1 clove pressed garlic
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon ginger powder

Preperation/Cooking:
Add 1 teaspoon vegetable oil to small pot, and melt 1 teaspoon butter into it over med-high heat. Add the onion and cook until brown, stirring frequently. Stir in the thyme. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the
chipotle, the black pepper and the red pepper flakes, the ginger powder and the granulated onion. Stir well for 15-20 seconds, add a splash of vinegar, continue stirring and reduce heat to medium. Add the ketchup, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5-10 minutes partially covered. Let cool and bottle.

This sound good, Kevin?

Yes. (Except that it's Worcestershire - note the lack of an 'h'. It is pronounced in three syllables, the 'r' sound in the first is dropped, the first syllable pronounced like 'wuss' as in, "I'd ask him to help me in my fight with my neighbor but he's such a wuss." WUSS-ter-sheer. [/pedantics]
icon_smile.gif
)

You want some browning of the onion but just a bit.

The garlic doesn't take long to get fragrant. You do not want any browning of the garlic. (It will get bitter if so.)

See what you think. You can make adjustments to the quantities from there, and/or additions/deletions.

Note: The addition of the fat is two-fold. It is used as a sautéing medium for the aromatics, and it also binds with and carries fat soluble flavors - those in the black pepper and chilies especially, along with some of the volatiles in the thyme and ginger. The flavors will thus be fuller.

Back