Bacon/breakfast on the Q griddle...fat/oil control

Jim Goddard

I've just started using the griddle more to get the hang of it. Cooked up some bacon last night as an experiment.

I was shocked at how much fat/oil was generated by only 4 pieces.

I notice that the griddles for larger Weber grills have a trench for draining away that fat and oil.

What have you Q owners been doing to manage oil? Lifting the griddle periodically and pouring it out?

Cheers
Jim

I don't use a griddle very often. If I use one with fatty food or a lot of marinade/moisture (prawns) I just have the Q on a slight tilt and mop it up with a bit of paper towel. I generally use the the grill sheet.

Cheers

I see...
I have a grill sheet on the way...but bacon generates so much oil...using the grill sheet, does that all just pour into your grill, I guess, into the drip pan...

I'd be more inclined to use a griddle for bacon due to the high fat level unless you trim some of the fat of it first.
My concern is that if fat does happen to run off the side of the grill sheet onto the flame, then it could be "goodbye grill sheet" and it could well stick to the grill bars if it got hot enough or just desintigrate.
The griddle just needs more heat up time but it works well after that.

Maybe we all should be more patient and enjoy the experience...I mean to say, theres plenty of things we can do in the 15-20 mins that it'd take for the griddle to be grilling hot...like cracking open another beer for example
icon_biggrin.gif

Oh on that subject, Jim, what's your favourite japanese beer?
1/ Ebisu........oiishii!! ichiban biru desu
2/ Sapporro Dry
3/ Kirin lager

Cheers

Davo

Hi Davo
You've got the beer right...if it has to be Japanese beer, Ebisu is the way to go.

Recently, I like lemon or grapefruit chuhai as my summer drink. Goes down way too easy, though...

I was also worried the excessive grease runoff with a sheet might spark a fire, but was wondering if bacaon lovers had to periodically take off the griddle and drain the grease which can build up fast with bacon.

I cooked up breakfast again today to continue on up the learning curve. You're right, once I let the griddle get nice and hot, it cooks so even and steady. Pancakes are super steady...really difficult to burn.

Once I get the grill sheet (coming mid June) I'll start experimenting with that as well.

James,
Now wait till you do a steak! Again, get it good and hot, steak at room temp, little oil on the griddle and you are good to go. The crust, texture and even cooking will mean you never order steak in a restaurant again. Try it.

Originally posted by John Mc:
James,
Now wait till you do a steak! Again, get it good and hot, steak at room temp, little oil on the griddle and you are good to go. The crust, texture and even cooking will mean you never order steak in a restaurant again. Try it.

John
I grew up cooking steak on a griddle (not with the lid down) and I then I changed to cooking them on a grill and direct with the lid down and then finally reverse sear. All methods are great when you master them.

I guess this is the circle of life.

Cheers

Back