Smoking in the rain...any suggestions?

Chuck H

TVWBB Member
Lit the WSM at 10:00am (minion method) and placed a rack of pork butt ribs on the grates and waited for the temps to rise. Weather man called for rain later in the day. Rain and wind started about 11:30am. Couldn't get the temps past 200*. About 4:00pm took the ribs off the grill because the water was running down and into the smoker and the coals were sizzling out(had the top vent foiled and covered as a rain flap). Water was running in through the top and bottom connectors. Ribs could have used another hour but were edible.
I'll definately drill a small hole in the bottom ash catcher because this morning water was running out of the bottom vents. 4" of rain and 20mph winds. I understand most people don't grill in the rain but it would be great if Weber could reform a lip on the top and bottom connectors to keep rain from running down the inside of the grill and filling the ash catcher with water.
What do you "Grilling Guru's" do to keep the rain out? I still love my WSM!

Chuck

Cheap 8-ft garden umbrella from LnT. The type of metal fabrication process necessary to keep grease inside and water outside would jack the cost up far more than most would be willing to pay.

I've got a 10 x 10 "easy up" canopy. Not so easy with one person, manageable with two, fairly easy with four.

Invite guests!

JimT

Good one Jeff. The ingenuity of BBQers can't be beat.

We need a slogan like the post office has - rain, nor sleet, nor gloom of night...will keep us from smoking our points, rounds, etc.

I use a patio umbrella. It does the job. Just make sure it's stable so the wind doesn't knock it over.

I use the Silver Jacket that the BBQGuru.com folks sell. It acts as a windblock, thermal blanket and rain shield all in one. A tad on the $$ side though..

JimT has it right with the “easy up”, I just lower mine down to where I can just stand underneath it yet keeping any rain from blowing in from the sides. Works great!

Chuck,

Do not drill a hole in the bottom unit
icon_eek.gif
! If you do, air will be introduced into your unit and you won't be able to control it. This will give you problems with temp control. There's been discussions about the lid design and Weber acknowledges the fact that water does seep in, but unless you're smoking in a torrential downpour, like you were, it rarely is an issue. Here's my solution. It's a beach umbrella with the retractable spike. Just push it into the ground and it works like a charm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike A.:
A piece (or a roll, more likely) of Reflectrix from HD or Lowe's can be used to make this crude but effective smoker jacket, which will do the job in rain, snow, wind, etc.: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very nice.

I have used a water heater jacket secured with clips when wind has been a problem on high heat smokes. It worked but didn't look as good or was as easy to use as yours appears to be.

Time for a trip to the store.

Jim

Back