The next book - any ideas yet?

Ryan Gardner

TVWBB Fan
Jamie,

I've got The Big Book, Real Grilling, and Charcoal Grilling. (I don't have the Art of the Grill, but I have the deck of Art of the Grill cards).

When I give buying advice to people about the books, I tell them this: Buy the Big Book - 80% of the recipes in there are in the category of "Things I would like to try." Then, once you play with those, buy the "Real Grilling" book - 70% of those recipes are in the category of "Hmm... I'll pass" - but the remaining 30% will become your favorite recipes. It also has better general advice on creating sauces and rubs. (I'm still trying out new recipes from the Live Fire one, so I will have to figure out how I will position it to people).

That being said - there seems to be a general trend in the books of improving the front-matter and grilling tips, adding some new sauces, and then diving into new recipes. The new recipes seem to try to avoid overlapping what has been done in your previous books, and to provide some new spin on things.

Do you have any ideas on what the next book will be focussed on? I like the new focus on the WSM in your books - I can only imagine that this will help to increase the sales of the WSM and the target market for a future WSM book.

Would there be enough of a target market for you / Weber to produce a "Big Book of Smoking" and make it similar to the big red book? (i.e. general, but excellent recipies?)

For my 2-cents, I would like to see some more recipes for specific accessories - such as the Weber Poultry Roaster or the Weber Kettle Rotisserie. In the next book, I would also greatly appreciate a brief description of what the recipe tastes like. (Perhaps you could judge them based on their "sweet" "spice" "hot".. etc. categories)

The new book is great - I'm already focused on your next one
icon_smile.gif

Edit: On the 'hm.. I'll pass' comment - I meant that the recipes are more targeted flavors. Some may love the idea of Pork Tenderloin with East West sauce - while I love the Pork Tenderloin wrapped in bacon... I'm guessing the 70% figure differs for everyone... I didn't mean to bash on the book at all
icon_smile.gif
I love them all
icon_smile.gif

I second that. How about (Wait for it!) the OFFICIAL BIG WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN COOKER CHARCOAL FIRED COOKBOOK!

This is very cool. It's how great cookbooks are born and developed. Every book I've written or edited has begun with a swell of enthusiasm about a specific way of cooking. That was certainly true with "Weber's Charcoal Grilling." Wherever I went to teach classes or give demos, people asked me about how to get better at grilling over charcoal. Then the grill industry statistics showed clearly that more and more people were buying charcoal grills and cooking with them more often.

Maybe a similar thing is happening with smoking and the WSM? Beleive me, I'll be paying attention as I travel around the country this year.

Thanks for raising the topic!

Jamie

Back