Temperature on Smokey Joe Platinum

Mike Batsarisakis

TVWBB Super Fan
I fired up the SJP for the first time yesterday to grill some rib eye steaks. I used about 1/2 to 3/4 chimney of fully lit Kingsford and a couple handle fulls of unlit lump. All the coals were moved to one side. The temp went up to 410 with no problems, before putting the steaks on. I didn't see any problems with the temperature at all. SO far so good. Best steaks I've had in a long time! Mike

Mike,

If you don't mind me asking, did you put the lid on the SJP before putting the steaks on, or go straight from lit coals to searing steak? Also, did you keep the lid off for any of the cooking time?

I've had trouble keeping temps up on my SJP with the lid on and all vents 100% open. I've gone so far as to deliberately allow flare-ups to get temps up and sear.

Greg

Greg,

I did put the lid on and watch the lid therm to see how high the temp was going. At about 400 I took the lid off and threw the steaks on. I then put the lid back on and saw the temp drop to 250-200. The steaks were in the fridge. The temp did climb back up to 350. I then took the lid off to flip the steaks and repeated process. Once steaks were seared on each side, I moved them to indirect heat side. The temp did climb back up to 400. And this was the scenario on an even more recent steak cook, but this time I actually fanned the flames while the steaks were on and then covered the lid. All vents were wide open. At this time, I contemplated a possible bottom lid mod in the future. I am still happy with the grill. There was plenty of room for 4 large steaks. I still had lots of charcoal left.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Batsarisakis:

I did put the lid on and watch the lid therm to see how high the temp was going. At about 400 I took the lid off and threw the steaks on. I then put the lid back on and saw the temp drop to 250-200. The steaks were in the fridge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Since you mentioned it, I'm sure you know, but if you let the steaks come to room temp before putting them on the cooking grate, they won't suck up as much of your heat and you should get a better sear. I have a SJ Gold, also. I found the only real solution to getting a higher temp with that vent set up is to use more fuel and perhaps use lump instead of briqs or along with briqs. The portability and convenience of the Gold is a real plus, but i don't like the vent arrangement. I actually went and bought a Silver for that reason, but it doesn't take much of an excuse for me to get another grill.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

The SJS gets hotter, ime, because the vent is below the fuel source. That said the fuel also probably is consumed faster on that grill.

The only advantage i see to the SJG is the portability; however that would be a significant factor for tailgaiting, etc - which i don't do.

I really only use the SJs when its just me at home and i want to play with fire.

Paul

Paul,

I ordered the parts for the SJP lower vent mod. If you close the bottom vent while you transport the grill, what are the disadvantages? It seems to me that there are only plus sides to this mod. True or not?

If you do the mod with the lower vent on your SJP, then I don't see any downside. Certainly the way the lid holder snaps into the handle makes it much more convenient to transport. I guess the cost for the gold, plus the mod cost might be a factor to consider.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lee James:
What is the lower vent mod?

I recently purchased a SJP, but I have yet to assemble it much less use it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just read the other thread explaining the vent issue. I may do it just to do it, but I'll mainly be cooking dogs and sausages on mine; so, I think just using a full chimney will work for me. However, I may need to use it for extra capacity at some point; so, being able to get the same temps out of it that I get out of my OTG would be nice.

Back