Tacos Al Pastor Anyone Know How To Do It?

jeff lowe

TVWBB Super Fan
I was thinking this could be done on a rotisserie.

Anyone know of a recipe on how to do this?

I have seen a few links after doing a search but they don't look that authentic to me.

This is. I use pineapple interspersed with the sliced pork, which isn't traditional (I like more pineapple), but the marinade and method is--except the lack of a vertical rotis.

For a rotis, skip the interspersed pineapple. The butt needs to be sliced thin, crosswise, then pounded thinner. If using a spit rotis, spit the stack then add to more skewers so that the stack doesn't fall apart. If using an EZ-Que, use a double or flat skewer to hold the meat together before securing with the holder(s).

Keep the heat moderate while cooking and baste a few times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another one; from what my 110 year old (OK she's really 80 but she looks 110) Mexican future mother in-law says this is pretty AUTHENTIC and even impressed her, which is hard to do when it comes to Mexican food as she's a very accomplished Mexican cook who used to cater events, weddings, Quinceañeras and other events.

Hope this helps. Let us know how they turn out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the one?

Recipe: Carne al pastor

Total time: 3 hours, 10 minutes, plus 8 hours marinating
Servings: 8

3 California chiles
1 ancho chile
1 guajillo chile
1 cascabel chile
1 chile de árbol
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/4 teaspoon achiote condimentada (seasoned achiote paste)
1 onion, sliced thin, divided
5 pounds boneless pork butt, cut into 8 chunks
1/2 pineapple, peeled, sliced 1/2-inch thick,and cut into quarters

1. Combine 5 cups of water, the California, ancho, guajillo and cascabel chiles, the chile de árbol and the bay leaf in a large pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. Drain the chiles, discard the bay leaf and remove and discard the stems and seeds
of the chiles.

2. Place the softened chiles in a food processor with the orange and pineapple juices, vinegar, cinnamon, sea salt, garlic, salt, pepper, garlic salt, oregano, achiote paste and half the onion.
Pureé until smooth.

3. Pour the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag, add the meat and toss to coat. Refrigerate 24 hours.

4. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place half the pineapple in an even layer in the bottom of a roasting pan. Place the pork on top, followed by the remaining pineapple and the remaining sliced onion. Cover with foil and roast until meat breaks apart with a fork, about 2 to 2 1/2hours. Remove the meat from the pan, discard the pineapple and set aside the pan juices.

5. Put the meat on a rack in a baking pan, baste it with the pan juices and place under the broiler to crisp the edges of the meat, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook for a few more minutes.

6. Remove the meat from the oven and let stand until cool enough to handle, then, with a fork, shred and pull it apart and place on a serving platter. Spoon pan juices over to moisten. Serve with corn tortillas and condiments, allowing everyone to make their own tacos.

Back