Boneless Beef ribs

Bob Hunter

TVWBB Pro
Does anyone have a good recipe for making boneless beef ribs in a crockpot / slow cooker. Or anything else in a crockpot?

My wife got one a Christmas present and want to make things during the week that she can put together in the morning and just leave til she gets home from work.

Well she tried to do some ribs the other day. She just dumped the ribs, a bottle of BBQ sauce and some salt and pepper into the Crockpot and let it go all day.

It was horrible. (Sorry honey) The kids wouldn't even eat it. It was so stringy and tough, I had a hard time choking it down. HELP please!!!!

I would guess you didn't let it cook long enough. I make stew in my crock pot at least once a week (my family loves it) and I ALWAYS let it go for about 16 hours on high or 24 hours on low. Less time than that and your meats will still be tough. On low, add the amount of liquid you want to be left with in the end. On high, you'll need alot of water as it will boil and evaporate. I would start with a little extra and check it every hour until you get the hang of how fast it goes through the liquid.

oh yeah, don't forget the reynolds slow cooker bags. they make clean up a cinch. I fill the area outside the bag with water so it doesn't stick to the sides and then after I take the food out, the bag and water come right out for a spotlessly clean crockpot.

Bob,

I've never done ribs in a crock pot, but I guess you could do the majority of the cooking in the crock and then finish them on the grill, but I don't think that would yield a quality product. That also would be defeating the purpose of wanting to come home to a "finished" product...
I did cook a rather tasty batch of chili a week ago using the crock pot. This version requires a little prep work; searing the meat (approx 4 lbs) on the grill or stove top for flavor. After that, I cut up the meat into fist size pieces and added the remaining ingredients:

28 oz crushed tomatoes
1 bottle dark beer
5 ancho chiles, ground up
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1.5 medium onion, diced
3 TBL comino
2 tsp Mexican oregano
2 tsp thyme
1 tsp whole fennel
4 garlic cloves, mashed
2 bay leaves
1 oz of Mexican chocolate
water, salt and pepper as needed.

I heated the anchos and fennel in a skillet then ground them up.

The chocolate is very subtle, just in the background. The chuck cooks down and when tender just shreds up. You can add beans after cooking if you prefer. I monitored the liquids during the day and added more water/tomatoes if needed. If yours comes out too watery, you can add masa (finely ground corn meal) as a thickener. There are hundreds of variations of chili, but it is one of the easiest dishes to prepare in a crock pot.

Easy Crock Pot Chicken

1 LB boneless chicken
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can cram of chicken soup
pinch or two of garlic powder
pinch or two of onion powder
a dash or three of hot sauce
pinch of pepper

(Do not salt! the condensed soup has enough)
Cut chicken into 2-3 inch wide strips.
Add all of this to the croock pot and stir to combine. Put on low all day while you are at work.

Serve over Egg Noodles (you could also serve with rice).

A variation could be to throw in some Broccoli for some green color.

Kids love the stuff.

Bob. One thing you need to do is brown your meat before placing in your pot, just think pot roast, a highly seasoned piece of meat, browned then adding a mixture of aromatic veggies onion carrot celery then some stock wine or beer or water. It sounds to me like your trying to make short ribs. I have a Rival crock pot ,and they have a lot of recipes on there site .you should check out yours

Back