New User Question about "shutting down"

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have had my WSM for about a month and have had excellent results smoking chicken breasts and thighs. For now, I am sticking to cooking chicken parts until I am "broken in" on the using WSM.

I use the Minion method, which I think is great, with Kingsford charcoal and two or three chunks of Hickory. I also follow many of the suggestions made my Chris elsewhere on the site about many of the details. For example, covering the water pan with aluminum foil is a real help when it comes to clean-up.

I have had no trouble at all holding the temp to about 230 degrees. One pleasant surprise was just how little charcoal is used for a two and one half hour cooking job.

However, after I have removed the meat and closed all of the vents, the charcoal seems to take an extremely long time to "go out". My unit is quite round and the fit is good.

Any suggestions on how to speed up the "snuffing" of the charcoal?

------------------
Bruce Warner

If your unit fits together well, then there is not muck you can do. They will take some time to cool down, not out of the norm.
You can wire the charcoal ring to the fire grate, it lets you pickup the ring while the charcoal is still hot and shake out the ash,
put the large pieces of charcoal in a metal bucket with an airtight lid (where gloves while performing this as the lawyers would say).
jim

Hi,

Assuming the sections of the cooker fit together well, the only other thing would be how tight the adjustable air vents fit against the body of the charcoal bowl. I've seen some variability in this, with some not actually providing a very good closure, thus continuing to allow air in the cooker.

My cooker is usually stone cold within one hour of shutting down all vents.

Regards,
Chris

Bruce I guess I'am loaded with money by the time i get thru cooking what i want to cook I haven't payed that much attention to the amount of coals that i have left. I guess I'am so excited that i can cook something without burning it up that i haven't worried about the coals but I will check the next time and see how many I have left JOE

Bruce....

Warm charcoals are further evidence of the quality of the WSM!! The charcoal ash acts as an insulator for the remaining charcoals. It is not unusual for my WSM to be warm the next morning after a long cook!

Stogie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back