Brisket finishing sauce

S. Dover

TVWBB Fan
Anyone care to share a brisket finishing sauce? I have seen many of the competitors dip their slices in some type of sauce prior to presenting them.

I don't know what competitors do but, imo, you want a sheer finish. What I do sometimes: I heat a little good strained homemade light beef stock with a little unsalted butter, mix well, then paint it on the slices (you could dip them but I like to avoid the bark area). Alternatively, if no homemade stock is available, mix store-bought beef stock (get the best you can find) with low-sodium chicken stock. Store beef stocks are often a bit tinny, the chicken stock helps to eliminate that and it lightens the color a bit, a good thing, imo. A 50-50 mix is a good starting point. Add a little butter, heat til the butter is melted, mix well, paint on immediately after slicing.

Steve
What some of us do is the juices that that we get during the hold phase of the cook we reserve.
Those juices you defat and add to your finish sauce, aprox 50/50. What I do is paint the face of each slice with the mixture.

What others do is they have a mixture of their own making and they will add that to finish sauce. Many that wrap at the 160 internal point of the cook will add the mixture in place of apple juice as an example and add it to the finish sauce to do the painting. If you use this method understand that you would need to pull the brisket off the cooker earier than you would normally say 180 to 185, it is about how it feels at that point. You would add another layer of HD foil and hold in dry cooler for a couple of hours.

Jim

Back