Turkey cooking question

kenny early

I have cooked on wsm for several years, however I am attempting a turkey for the first time. Just to verify, I need only to foil the water pan for the cook and not use the saucer that I normally use? Also should I use top or center rack?

Kenny,

Welcome! I would recommend you still use a heat sink, whether a saucer or water, unless you're really good at keeping the temp where you want them. I'd put the turkey on the top rack, where it's easier to get a thermometer in, and put a pan with some water and seasonings below it on the bottom pan, to catch the drippings and make gravy.

Just to confuse you, I'll say that I don't use a heat sink for turkey. But I cook mine between 325 and 375. I guess it's a question of how you plan to cook - low&slow, or high heat. I usually cook on the top rack with an empty, foiled water pan. Put the bird on the top rack with a pan on the lower rack to catch drippings for gravy. Good luck!

Hi Kenny,
I loosely foiled my water pan and then used a drip pan on the lower rack to catch drippings for gravy. I did not use a heat sink because I was not concerned about temperatures getting above 225 or so (as I do with pork.) I started with one vent open which held in the mid 200s and then opened a second vent which brought temps up into the low 300s.

This resulted in leathery skin. You need to go higher yet if you want crispy skin. I was going more for smoky flavor. (More detail at http://smpoke-on.blogspot.com/2011/11/gobble.html if you're curious.)

Back