Southwestern Black Bean Chili, a great simple chili - not for the Purists

Keith H.

TVWBB Pro
Southwestern Black Bean Chili (url deleted as it is no longer any good. Good call Chris.)

Years ago, I found this recipe on the side of Kuners Southwestern Style Corn. Have been enjoying it ever since. Simple and fast to make and everyone always enjoys it. I have had to adjust occasionally since Kuners hasn't always been available but any Black Beans, Mexican Corn, Stewed Tomatos can be adapted.

I've copied the recipe below. You never know when a link to a recipe will get changed or deleted.

Regards,
Chris

---------------------

This old southwestern classic is chock-full of colorful vegetables, including plenty of Supersweet corn. The longer it cooks, the better it tastes. And it's even better a day or two later. Make up a big batch (it freezes beautifully).

1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup each chopped green and red bell pepper
2 (16oz) cans Kuner's Chili Tomatoes
1 Tbsp. Ground cumin
1 Tbsp. Dried oregano leaves, crushed
1/2 tsp. Ground allspice
2 (15oz) cans Kuner's Black Beans
1 (17oz) can Kuner's Corn 'N Peppers
Salt & cayenne pepper
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Fresh cilantro leaves

In large flame proof pot or Dutch oven, crumble ground beef. Cook over medium-high heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in onion, garlic, bell peppers, and Chili Tomatoes with juice, cumin, oregano and allspice. Reduce heat and simmer mixture, covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add Black Beans and Corn 'N Peppers. Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes longer. Season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Serve chili garnished with cheese and cilantro if desired. Serves 6-8.

Back