Keri's Chocolate Gravy - a sweet breakfast treat

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Here's the chocolate gravy that I promised - better late than never! (I posted this along with the biscuits , but thought I'd throw it under a new topic as well.) This is one of the things that Robert's dear departed mama had made for him when he was younger, of which he had fond childhood memories. When Robert and I got married lo these 24+ years ago, I had to learn how to make chocolate gravy as part of our marriage contract , along with burnt-sugar butterscotch pie. Now I'm the only one in the family (Robert's the youngest of a litter of six) who can make butterscotch pie like his mama did. Anyway, back to the chocolate gravy:

@@@@@
Keri's Chocolate Gravy

1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour, heaping
2 tablespoons cocoa powder, heaping
2 1/4 cups milk (approximately)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup butter

Combine sugar, flour, and cocoa powder in medium saucepan. Blend in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly (Like making pudding or cream pie filling). Should be just slightly thinner than pudding. Add just a little more milk if needed. Add butter and vanilla when gravy is thickened, and blend well. Serve over hot biscuits and enjoy the bliss. Can also be served over cake, ice cream, or even layered with graham crackers for an interesting dessert.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time 9-1-2004
_____

Wow, that brings back memories. My Gramma used to put something like that between graham crackers, let it cool and we'd have graham cracker sandwiches. Thanks!!!

Hey Keri,

When I was in Belgium back in the 70's they would spread "chocopaste" on a slice of bread. Thier bread was all homemade and nothing like the soft sliced Wonder or Rainbow that we are used to. I loved it with a glass of milk.

Keri
I've lost 100 pounds since Jan 02 eating low carb and this recipe could create a problem.
icon_wink.gif

Jim

100 lb! That's outstanding! We haven't lost that much between the two of us yet whilst Southbeaching since March, but Robert's blood chemistry is MASSIVELY improved and he is no longer borderline diabetic. Nope, no homemade biscuits and chocolate gravy happenin' very often around here for a while
icon_frown.gif
except maybe for another attempt at the Blue ribbon at the OK State Fair here pretty soon. I MIGHT be nice and let him have one then...

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

South Beach is how I got here, I had a lot to work with.
It really does help blood chemistry to lose the weight not to speak how much easier it is on your back.
The recipes will have to be tried.
Jim

Jim,
You have given me a lot of incentive now. I have been doing SB for 7 weeks now and have lost 32lbs. I have about 33 more to go! Glad to hear it worked so well for you. Hope it keeps working and I can keep my will power up!

Larry
Give yourself one meal a week and eat anything you want. You won't notice gains and will continue to lose by following the diet the rest of the week.
You do get stalls in the weight loss but that is just your body stabilizing. It needs to become a way of life rather than a diet.
Jim

Jim,
How right you are <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It needs to become a way of life rather than a diet.
Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>.

I just weighed again and this is the least I have lost in a weeks time 2lbs. So it is definitely slowing down, but I am still losing at a good rate 2lbs a week. Better a small loss than a big gain.

Back