New WSM fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Marlatt

TVWBB Member
Hey hey! I finally have my WSM and put it together, but the center section and the bottom section don't fit too well. I think the bottom is a bit out of round. Before I go at it with a mallet, anyone know if this is common? The gap seems like it will let smoke escape, and I really don't want to send it back.

Thanks,
Bob

Out of round is not typical, but not uncommon, either. There are two approaches to fix it:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>gently bend the sections, making small adjustments, until you get a good fit (preferred solution)

<LI>fit the middle section into the charcoal bowl and rotate it until it binds, resulting in a tight fit.

[/list]

Keep in mind that the unit is not meant to be airtight and you may see smoke seeping out around the access door and from around the edge of the lid. As the unit gets a build-up of smoke and stuff inside, you'll get less leakage from around the lid.

One more note...you may need to make small adjustments to the curvature of your access door to achieve a tight fit there, as well. Just bend gently in your hands. But as noted, some leakage around the door is normal...just adjust the door to minimize it.

Good luck!
Chris

One thing to keep in mind when you have questions about ANY Weber product, is that they have a kick-butt customer service line. It may sound funny, but you can call and ask them anything - even for a recipe book! It might be worth a call just for that.
smile.gif

They are very knowledgeable about the product lines, and how to use all the products, so if you are nervous about 'tuning' your bullet, give em a call.

The number is 1-800-446-1071.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back