1/2 medium-sized onion
2 tablespoons parsley
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano (optional)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup water
--Broth:
2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
4 soup cans water (58 ounces -- about a liter)
2 chicken bullion cubes -- 1 - 2
--depending on how much chicken flavor
you like
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
1 package frozen chopped spinach
1/2 chopped medium onion
1/4 cup thinly sliced carrots

Meatballs: combine ingredients in a mixing bowl. Knead and make into marble-sized balls. Bake on cookie sheet (greased with cooking spray &/or rubbed with a teaspoon of olive oil) at 350 F (175 C) for 30 minutes.

Broth: Combine broth, water, boullion cubes, salt, red pepper flakes, spinach, onion, and carrots in a pot or slowcooker. Bring to a boil. Add meatballs. Simmer covered for 45 minutes [4 hrs in slowcooker].

If desired, add 1/4 uncooked conventional rice and cook another 20 minutes, or add 1/2 Minute rice and cook another 5 minutes.

Serve immediately.

Keri's note - I use homemade browned-bone stock instead of canned broth, water, and bouillion, and I don't use the rice. I have used the little orzo pasta in it a few times with good results. In place of the chopped frozen spinich, try chard or kale. Both work well, changing the flavor a bit. I intend to try cooking the meatballs for this soup by smoking them in the WSM in the next week or so. I'll report back here how the change affected the overall flavor.

Recipe developed by Chris Castellani, and contributed to TVWB site by Keri Cathey 10-24-2003

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Back