need a prime rib rub

Mike in Sonora

looking for a simple rub for a large prime rib that won't need to stay on long (only 7 hours left till the meat goes on the grill)

any suggestions appreciated

Hey Mike, Ed C. did the one Chris had listed HERE. Personally, I do Prime Ribs very basic, kosher salt, garlic powder, fresh black pepper and maybe some rosemary.

morning Larry, just found and read thru the prime rib articles here: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html

figured since the Montreal Seasoning was a viable solution that I'd go with a variation of my old standby: rinse and pat dry, apply light coating of olive oil and then dust it up with some store bought "John Henry's East Texas Old Stockyard Steak Seasoning" rub. Pulled the trigger a moment ago and lathered it up. fingers crossed

Aromatic powders and salts with salt and pepper as a basic rub is an old standby of mine that I used this year.

Let the roast get to room temps. Salt liberally with kosher salt. Let set for about 10 minutes to sweat. Garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, garlic salt, dried onion. Rubbing all in well. Then some finely minced parsley (optional). Let it set for about 20 minutes.

Roast in the oven, WSM, horizontal, etc.

Everybody always tells me how good it tastes and smells.

I make up the au jux and also make up the classic horseradish sauce.

Somehow it's too simple. What I like to do is use finely minced fresh ingredients, and I like that better. But the flavors themselves don't change. It's more a matter of fresh or dried. I.E. paste or rub.

I want to try a marinade style with the 3 rib roast I pulled aside this year
icon_wink.gif

I basically melted butter and lathered all sides and evenly coated the prime rib with Montreal Steak Seasoning.

I then heated a cast iron skillet on the gas grill on high flame for about 15 minutes (the hotter the better). I seared all sides of the meat with a little olive oil in the pan. Placed it in the oven for several hours and it was to die for....nice crisp skin while moist and juicy on the inside.

Back