Weber Q Pork Tenderloin Stuffed with Spinach and Feta Chese

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
I am still enjoying my week as a monk/hermit while the wife and daughter are at the beach for spring break. Tonight, I decided to cook a pork tenderloin but wanted to so something different from what I normally do so I decided to stuff it with wilted spinach and feta cheese. I also decided to cook it on my Weber Q 220.

I bought fresh spinach and some feta at the Whole Foods and kinda made it up as I went along. I wilted the spinach in some red wine and minced garlic and butterflied the tenderloin (first time for that) while the spinach cooked down. I filled the tenderloin with the spinach and a handful of crumbled feta then tied it off in about 5 places. I brushed the tenderloin with canola oil and sprinkled it with Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning (I love that stuff on just about everything!).

I heated the Q220 to about 450 and put the tenderloin on the front part of the grill. Nice sizzle when it went on. I seared the tenderloin for about 3 minutes o each of its four "sides" then placed a doubled over piece of foil on the grill and put the tenderloin on that so it could finish over indirect heat (thank you Phil, for that idea). The tenderloin cooked for about another 12 minutes and I pulled it off and let it rest for about another 5 minutes while I finished getting ready for dinner.

The tenderloin was very tasty, fork tender and the mixture of the spinach, feta and seasoning was dead on.

I continue to be impressed by the little Weber Q 220. This was my third cook and I really like the way it heats up quickly, the cast iron grates hold heat and sear meat very well and clean up is easy.

I'm a charcoal first kinda guy, but for smaller cooks - of which there are getting to be more and more as the kids get older and do their own thing - it is hard to beat.

I also am a fan of cast aluminum cookers. My dad has a Portable Kitchen charcoal grill that is well over 30 years old and except for some flaking paint on the outside of the grill, it's in as good shape as it was when it was new. I can see the Weber Q lasting that long as well so long as the plastic holds up. That's good because after a time, it becomes a game with me to see how long I can make something last.

George, my Weber Q is a red head like yours and after your recent experience, I was sure that the lid didn't touch anything while it was hot!

Pat

Pat
Well done Mate. I am pleased that you are enjoying the Q so much, I was impressed by the fact that you did the cook using a couple of different methods to achieve the desired result. It takes you away from traditional methods and gives you more scope to develop a wider variety of dishes.

One comment you didn't say whether you used a rack on top of the foil to get the convection airflow - I find the rack invaluable in stopping the burning of the marinade/rub and letting the juices drop onto the foil and add to that wonderful BBQ taste.

The use of the red wine for wilting the spinach is a great idea, I can actually imagine the taste in my mouth now.

Well Done Mate.

Regards

Thank you Phil.

No, I didn't use a rack, but I have a couple that would work nicely and will remember that for the the next cook.

Thank you for the reminder!

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
I am still enjoying my week as a monk/hermit while the wife and daughter are at the beach for spring break. Tonight, I decided to cook a pork tenderloin but wanted to so something different from what I normally do so I decided to stuff it with wilted spinach and feta cheese. I also decided to cook it on my Weber Q 220.

I bought fresh spinach and some feta at the Whole Foods and kinda made it up as I went along. I wilted the spinach in some red wine and minced garlic and butterflied the tenderloin (first time for that) while the spinach cooked down. I filled the tenderloin with the spinach and a handful of crumbled feta then tied it off in about 5 places. I brushed the tenderloin with canola oil and sprinkled it with Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning (I love that stuff on just about everything!).

I heated the Q220 to about 450 and put the tenderloin on the front part of the grill. Nice sizzle when it went on. I seared the tenderloin for about 3 minutes o each of its four "sides" then placed a doubled over piece of foil on the grill and put the tenderloin on that so it could finish over indirect heat (thank you Phil, for that idea). The tenderloin cooked for about another 12 minutes and I pulled it off and let it rest for about another 5 minutes while I finished getting ready for dinner.

The tenderloin was very tasty, fork tender and the mixture of the spinach, feta and seasoning was dead on.

I continue to be impressed by the little Weber Q 220. This was my third cook and I really like the way it heats up quickly, the cast iron grates hold heat and sear meat very well and clean up is easy.

I'm a charcoal first kinda guy, but for smaller cooks - of which there are getting to be more and more as the kids get older and do their own thing - it is hard to beat.

I also am a fan of cast aluminum cookers. My dad has a Portable Kitchen charcoal grill that is well over 30 years old and except for some flaking paint on the outside of the grill, it's in as good shape as it was when it was new. I can see the Weber Q lasting that long as well so long as the plastic holds up. That's good because after a time, it becomes a game with me to see how long I can make something last.
, my Weber Q is a red head like yours and after your recent experience, I was sure that the lid didn't touch anything while it was hot!

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pat: Nice Cook! I am thinking of buying a Weber Q 220 to add to my BBQ Arsenal. The cost here in Costa Rica with the lower cost Weber Cart is $440.00. Now if I just can convince the wife??

Richard

WSM, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

Richard
I hope you can convince "her Indoors", the Q 220 is so versatile and as Pat is discovering there are so many dishes that can be created that take you away from traditional BBQ and help you develop your style. Of course you can still cook traditional/regional dishes with the Q.
Pat needs to take a bow for his latest dish it is inspirational.

Regards

Back