18" vs 22"

Michael P

Perhaps it has been asked a bunch of times already? I'm going to be ordering my new WSM but because I'm new at the smoking side of Weber cooking, I was wondering if someone could tell me why I'll want a 22.5" versus the 18.5"? Pros & Cons? Thanks.

The only reason to choose the 22" version over the 18" version is because it is bigger. Bigger cooking grates mean you have increased cooking capacity. They also mean you can cook larger cuts of meat more easily. See the photos from the test cooks I did with the 22" version to see how loin back ribs lay flat and big briskets fit easily in the 22" version compared to the 18" version. There is also some additional vertical space between top and bottom cooking grates and between the top grate and the top of the lid. For example, you could cook a bigger turkey on the top grate of the 22" version than on the 18" version.

Having said all that, I believe the 18" version will meet the needs of most people most of the time.

If you decide to order a WSM from Amazon.com, I hope you'll click the Amazon link here on TVWB before adding the item to your shopping cart, as this helps to provide financial support for this website. Thanks for your consideration.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Crhis. I love the idea of having a larger capacity when needed? My concern is, will the 22" require more charcoal to cook each time even if I'm doing say, a single turkey?

Yes, I believe it will require more fuel each time used. It's a bigger oven and it takes more fuel to heat a bigger oven than a smaller one.

I just purchased the 22" from amazon (comes Tuesday!) and I've heard alot of people commenting about how it will use more fuel. This was also a concern of mine, but I really wanted the capacity. My question to the forum is, does anybody have an idea of how much more fuel the 22" uses, as opposed to the 18"? A percentage or any ideas/thoughs at all would be appreciated?

Thanks,

there are a few folks using charcoal rings that would fit or are from 18" wsm. i am ordering my 22" to go with my 18" tomorow but i dont see how its going to be drastically different. i would think just using more lit to start with with offset the ramp up in temp a lot. but i can see it using a touch more but i dont think its going to be like 50 or 100 percent more

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
The only reason to choose the 22" version over the 18" version is because it is bigger. Bigger cooking grates mean you have increased cooking capacity. They also mean you can cook larger cuts of meat more easily. See the photos from the test cooks I did with the 22" version to see how loin back ribs lay flat and big briskets fit easily in the 22" version compared to the 18" version. There is also some additional vertical space between top and bottom cooking grates and between the top grate and the top of the lid. For example, you could cook a bigger turkey on the top grate of the 22" version than on the 18" version.

Having said all that, I believe the 18" version will meet the needs of most people most of the time.

If you decide to order a WSM from Amazon.com, I hope you'll click the Amazon link here on TVWB before adding the item to your shopping cart, as this helps to provide financial support for this website. Thanks for your consideration.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Chris, I'm pretty new at this and wanted your opinion. We are a family of 4 + my sons girlfriend= 5. Sometimes two or three more will join for a total of 8. Other than that, we would use it for parties of 10-20 only sparingly. Please tell me if the 18.5WSM is plenty enough to accommodate food for 8-10 folks. Ribs, etc...
I just want to put this debate in my head to rest.
Thanks Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom R (doughboy):
I ordered mine yesterday. I got the 22 simply because it was 9 bucks more than the 18.

It came today. This thing is huge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

9 bucks? I saw it at $100 more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alexander:
I just want to put this debate in my head to rest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can easily cook for 12 people on the 18.5" WSM.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alexander:
I just want to put this debate in my head to rest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can easily cook for 12 people on the 18.5" WSM.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good thing I got the 22! I'm single!

FWIW ..I have both the 18" & 22",
icon_biggrin.gif
.. they're both terriffic. On a short cook of 4-5 hrs I use twice as much lit to get the 22" going.... I've observed that it uses approx one extra heaping chimnney full or about 6 pounds more <span class="ev_code_BLUE">K</span> than the 18" on a similar cook...not too bad about $2.00 worth
icon_smile.gif
...so that's about $.50-.60/hr.....I use boiling water for both cookers
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hi Michael - I think I would have to go with ron (rondo) on this one. I too found that if you are looking at a $$$ factor when doing a cook you will find in most cases that you are only having to consider a difference of $2.00 to $3.00 for a long cook and with the quality food we are producing, your consideration should be on getting the and using the WSM you would be most comfortable with. It's a little like driving 15 miles to save $2.00 on a tank of gasoline. Bob

Re: pricing - on some sites like Amazon the prices bump around quite a bit. I happened to catch a deal on the 22.5" so that's what I got. If you see a good deal on the 18" first, it's not like you're likely to be unhappy with it.

Some of the advantages to the larger size will be minor like I cooked some ribs last night that I could just lay down flat instead of rolling up. They barely fit length-wise as it was. If you just read that and said "who cares?" then points to the 18".

On the fuel issue I think partially the outside temperature matters - that extra surface area's going to dump heat outside faster. Being in California I find it difficult to get too excited by that...

I didn't have a problem with the fuel use on the 22" because I used to have a Brinkman ECB. But, if I down graded to an 18, I probably would be bitchin about now.

Back