Sweet Potatoes with Vermont Cheddar and Sour Cream

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Sweet Potatoes with Vermont Cheddar and Sour Cream

2 ½ large sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick
6 oz extra-sharp or sharp Vermont cheddar, grated
14 oz sour cream
½ homemade or canned chipotle in adobo, seeded, mashed (optional)
4 Tblsp unsalted butter, divided; half chilled, half softened
Salt
Freshly ground white pepper

Oven at 350°. Butter an 8x8 baking pan, preferably non-stick, with the softened butter. Mix the mashed Chipotle, if using, with the sour cream. Divide the sliced sweet potato slices into five piles of approximately the same amount. Spread one pile of the potato slices on the bottom of the buttered pan, overlapping as needed to even the layer. Top with one-third of the sour cream, spreading it gently with the back of a spoon. Lightly salt and white pepper the layer. Repeat with another layer of potato, one-half of the remaining sour cream, salt and white pepper. Add a third layer of potato and very gently press the layer. Scatter one-half of the grated cheese evenly over the potato. Add a fourth layer of potato, the remaining sour cream, a little salt, and white pepper. Add the last layer of potato, press gently, and top with the remaining grated cheese. Salt and white pepper lightly. Finely dice the chilled butter and scatter over the cheese.

Cover the pan with foil tightly, tenting if necessary to keep the foil from touching the cheese. Bake 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.

Note: Simmering the sliced sweets for 7 minutes - then drying well - before layering in the pan will cut the cook time substantially.

Great recipe Kevin. One question though, what's the measurement for the chipotel peppers? All I see is 1/2, but not a measurement. I'm assuming that the measurement for the potatoes is pounds. Is that correct?

Thanks.

-Brandon

Thanks.

1/2 chipotle means one half a pepper. I usually use a whole one (or more) because I like the heat. A half a pepper gives a hint of heat and smokiness in the background.
No, not the weight. 2 and a half large potatoes.

Back