Chicken on a throne

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I haven't got my WSM yet, but was wondering, I'm planning on fixing a couple of chickens on a throne for my first cook and wanted to know if 2 chickens will fit on the top grate of the WSM. Also I was wondering about the brine that was mentioned on this site, is it as good as Shakes brine recipe. Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll have more questions when my WSM gets here.

No problem fitting two chickens on a grate. I have never tried to brine a chicken on the throne yet. Plan on tring it though. They usually come out great with out brining. I run the temp at around 325 and take off when breast is at 165.

Good afternoon Rodney?.

Believe it or not but I've actually smoked four 'chickens on a throne' in my WSM all on the bottom grill. It takes patience, a steady hand and a good wife aiding you as you attempt this feat but it is 'do-able'. Two of the birds touched the smoker sides but I didn't see any terrible adverse effect and between accolades my guests gobbled up all the chicken. Brian's temperature quotes were similar to mine except I prefer 170 degrees before declaring the fowl ready for consumption! I've used brine with turkeys with excellent results but have never with chicken since I've had such tremendous results just following Chris's guidelines (adapted from the Jamison book). Chris's method can be found by searching this web-site. As a Kudo to Chris's recipe/guidelines and for my upcoming super bowl party, I have had a guest sacrilegiously refuse ribs in favor of the above mentioned chicken! Hope this helps answer your questions.

?.John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back