Smoked Cabbage

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
Anybody have a recipe for smoking whole heads of Cabbage? Keri C? Help. Did a search and only found one recipe on the forum.
icon_wink.gif
Thanks Bryan

Sure - did a few just this weekend for a good old country-style barn party barbecue that we threw for some friends from Belgium.

Core out your cabbage, but don't go all the way through to the bottom. Using about 1/2 stick butter for each head of cabbage, stuff in some butter, a crumbled chicken bouillon cube, some more butter, another crumbled cube, and top it off with butter. [CORRECTION - Robert just proof-read this for me, and he said that he usually uses a WHOLE stick of butter per head of cabbage.] Get creative - you can also add chopped jalapenos, habs, onions, chopped smoked sausage, all manner of things. Wrap the stuffed cabbage in a couple of layers of HD foil, and set in the smoker with whatever else you're cooking. Be sure to keep the top side up so the butter doesn't run out. You can leave a small opening in the top if you'd like the get some smoke into it, or seal it completely. It's easily overpowered, so we usually seal it completely. You can twist foil into a little ring about 4 inches across and form a base for the wrapped cabbage to keep it stable, if you like.

By the time the ribs are done, the cabbage is done. About 5 to 6 hours at smoker temps of 235 to 250, or you can cheat and put it in the indoor oven for a couple of hours, until it's soft and squishy when you squeeze on it.

Here's one from a while back:

cabbage1.jpg

Robert is the one who usually builds these by the dozen for our big campouts. Any questions, just let us know.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Thanks so much Keri Looks Awsome. I knew you would come through.
icon_wink.gif
It's cabbage season, soon going to be making Shawn's Kraut also. Thanks So Very Much.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

Looks outstanding Keri, have you read Steve Raichlen's "How to Grill"? I got it for Xmas, there's a recipe for cabbage in there that is very similar to yours, he stuffs bacon and I think cheese along with the butter and spices. I've been wanting to give this one a shot for awhile (my wife loves cabbage), great job again!

Thanks, Chris. You know, I have that book but I haven't gone through it that closely yet. I'll have to look up the cabbage recipe. The cheese part sounds very interesting. Our version just kind of evolved over ten years or so of this particular large campout, with the guys saying "well what if we did this" and "hey, how would this be?". You know how that goes...
icon_smile.gif

Thanks!
Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Just consolidating Smoked Cabbage recipes here. This one was posted by Ray Humphrey in the Recipe Requests Forum on December 18, 2002.

-------------------

Found this on another forum:

1 whole cabbage
3 chicken or beef bouillon cubes
1 stick butter or margarine
1/4 tsp. salt
1 TBS. dry steak seasoning or steak rub

Remove first layer of cabbage and wash head.
Remove core leaving a hole 2 inches in diameter and two inches deep. Place cabbage on a large sheet of aluminum foil with core of cabbage facing up.

Crush 2 bouillon cubes, sprinkle inside of hole.
Crush remaining bouillon cube and sprinkle on top of butter. Scatter seasoning around and on top of cabbage, salt to taste.

Wrap in aluminum foil leaving a hole at the top to allow cabbage to breathe during cooking process.

Smoke cabbage at 250*F for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until tender.

Cool! Let me know what ya'll think. The recipe that Chris mentioned above in the Raichlen HOW TO GRILL book sounds good, too - stuffed with choppped cooked bacon, onion, etc. This is kind of like ABT's - you can stuff it with whatever trips your tripper. Drizzle a little beer de jour in on top of everything, if'n it suits your fancy...

Keri C

In fraternal bonding...had this this evening. It was TOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOD. SWMBO and I did-in the whole head of cabbage. Will likely have to burn extra candles this evening.

[bacon bits, KS, FGP, butter]

Thank you Ms. Keri.

**Keith thinking about the Smokestock brethren**
icon_wink.gif

I tried this recipe this weekend and I have to say that the cabbage was great. Had it on the WSM for 5 hours with temperatures around 225 degrees the whole time.

The wife even said this was a make again..

i was looking for a side for my ribs sunday and came across this. i think it's a must do. i'll put it on the bottom shelf for however long the spares take. might even chop some sweet onions up and put in it.

Do you have no mercy?
I am doing the best that I can; but this site is just killing my waistline.....
But do not stop, I am going to blame it on my metabolism

Pulling one up from the old daze....cabbage is on and smoking away for tonight's Weber recipe: Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin along side my own Bourbon Glazed Pineapple cook.

Back