Smoked eggplant "Meligana Salata"

John W.

TVWBB Fan
Spyro gave us the recipe below a while back, and I am finally going to try it. I'm assuming this should be served at room temperature. Correct? If anyone has tried it or if Spyro is still around, let me know.

Meligana Salata

Roast Eggplant (slightly beaten with a whisk or fork) to make it less clumpy or stringy.
Some nice ripe tomatoes diced.
Some green onion.
Add Parsley.
A touch of Oregano.
Oil oil and Red wine vinegar to taste.
Salt and Pepper.
Maybe toss in a few olives (I like green).

Yes, for best flavor I do--though you can chill it first till, say, 30 min before serving, to hold it.

Just a thought: I usually saute some finely diced yellow onion in evoo with some peeled finely diced celery while the eggplant is roasting. I add a clove or two of minced or pressed garlic to the pan when the onions are lightly browned in spots, cook a minute, then deglaze with a couple T of white wine letting it evaporate. Then I add the tomatoes (I peel them first), a pinch of sugar, parsley, and oregano, a touch of balsamic vin, and cook for a minute to release and blend flavors. Off heat I add a little basil and a little chopped rinsed green olives or, my favorite, rinsed slightly chopped capers. I fold in the mashed eggplant when it's ready. Great on lightly grilled ciabatta or baguette slices or good crackers, drizzled with evoo and great as a pasta sauce too.

Back