Loose Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason

I had to take the legs off my OTG to move it from one house to another. When I put it all back together, the legs don’t fit in the sockets very well, and the whole thing is wobbly. The best I can tell, there is a small knob or bump inside the socket on the bottom of the grill that compresses the aluminum leg and holds it in place. If the aluminum leg has already been compressed there is not much for the bump to grab on to.

I have tried to reshape the aluminum leg back to a circular shape before inserting it into the socket but it did not do much. My next step is to fill part of the leg with a wooden dowel, but I am not sure if this will catch on fire the next time I use the grill. I have also thought about putting a bolt through the whole assemble, but do not want to drill holes, scared of rust.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

I saw in another post, or perhaps another forum, where somebody had drilled through the leg inserts and the legs and then put a nut and bolt through the insert and the leg to keep the leg from falling out.

Somebody else said they wrapped the top of the leg in foil and that helped fill the space that kept the leg from fitting tightly.

Pat

I always have put a small self drilling screw into each leg of any new weber grill that I have bought. Because eventually the legs get loose so I don't wait and just do this from the start. I guess if you are not dragging them around the yard looking for shade it may not become a problem like mine.

When I saw the subject of this thread I thought it was all about a girl I used to know.

But now that I'm here I might as well toss in my two cents (which is basically all it took with the girl as well). I've wrapped several layers of aluminum foil around the end of the leg before reinserting it into the grill That usually gives the grill something to latch onto.

Bill

i havn't finished my project but i made copper pipe inserts to put in the legs. will see how this works. at the end of the leg without the wheel i just stuck in a swivel foot table leg end piece. looks good and works. still trying to figure out a cheap easy wheel system.

i need to try one of these methods on my 19 year old kettle i was given. i put a new leg kit on it but its still a little wobbly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back