New WSM - Slightly Out of Round

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
Today I have the day off so I decided to get up and put together my 3rd WSM. I have a competition in a week and a half, so I wanted to get a good initial burn before. I was planning on cooking a brisket Friday.

Here's what greeted me bright and early today.

IMG_1153.jpg

Guess this one may need to be returned.

Man that would have made me one angry old man. Good thing Weber has a great customer service department to replace that mess that you got.
Timing wasn't too good either it sounds like.
icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by Claude M:
I wonder how much more it would add to the price to pack these correctly?

Well from what I've seen of the new 22" model, they are packaging them much better. Hopefully that will trickle down to the smaller ones.

Yes, the timing of this stinks. Of course, this sat in the box for 3 weeks in my garage...so I could have noticed this much sooner and had it resolved by now. Oh well, plan C is now in place
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Claude M:
I wonder how much more it would add to the price to pack these correctly?
Back in 2007, I had it straight from the mouth of Sr. VP Mike Kempster, Sr. that it was cheaper for Weber to pay for the occasional replacement part than to update the product packaging.

As Pat says, I hope the new packaging I see on the 22" WSM does a better job, and that similar packaging is used on the new 18" WSM.

For some reason that sure looks like a handling issue from the freight company. Those guys can be pretty rough on packages that's for sure.

Looking at the picture I'd say this happened after it was in the box. Reasons:

1. The box that holds the legs, etc, is also crunched.

2. The outer box is indented right about where the kettle it dented in.

Back