Just bought Smokey Joe Platinum 18.5

Mike Batsarisakis

TVWBB Super Fan
Just bought a SMJ Platinum (18.5 inch) grill on ebay for a total with shipping of $44.00. I have looked at some of the previous discussions on this grill and there seems to be quite a few people who say that a bottom vent modifction with an ash catcher are just what this grill needs to increase performance. If any of you have done this mod., can you tell me how much clearance there is between the bottom bowl and where the legs join. Also can you tell me if you can maintain longer cooking sessions with less charcoal and more heat. Mike

Ron,,

You can buy a brand new one at Ace Hardware for 49.99. And I think they will ship for free to your nearest Ace Store... Check it out!.

That's how I got mine.

Darren H

I am seriously contemplating the SJP mod of installing a vent in the bottome of the bowl and an ash catcher under the vent. Any opinions. Mike

Use it unaltered for a while before you mod it.

Mine works fine - 400*F grate temp - awesome grill marks with a modified PCI grate.

I love it - so they discontinued it
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Batsarisakis:
What's your theory as to why they discontinued it if it works well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My theory, for which I have NO data - It was discontinued because it took sales away from the full isze 18.5" kettle.

Seems to me that if you have an SJP, only reason for the "bigger" one is as a base for your WSM
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

Rich,

I think that's a very reasonable theory and that was my initial reaction as well.

What is the PCI grate mod? Are you placing a smaller charcoal grate on top of the larger one? Mike

I too love mine. It's a great size for a cookout with friends. I have had absolutely no problems with it reaching and maintaining high enough temps. In fact my latest cook with stuffed pork chops I used a chimney full of coals and closed off one side of the air openings, had the other side wide open as well as the top vent. The temps were more than satisfactory to give great grill marks along with a beautiful golden color. The chops were cooked in short order as well. I love my grill and will likely have it til I'm gone.

I've had a sjp for a year and use it frequently.

The criticism about it was due to it being unable to get really high temps for searing purposes.

Some have done the vent mod, but I left mine as is, deciding that it functioned very well as it was designed.

I use mine for primarily tailgating, but cooked everything from chicken wings to whole turkey breasts in it. It's size lets me cook for 20 people pretty easily.

As for the whole chicken; no to the beer can method, yes to a butterflied one (it'll take a little lump management) but the cooker holds temps at 350 very well.

Try it before you cut into it.

Craig, Can you tell me whether I need a drip pan or a charcoal basket? Do you move the coals to one side for indirect cooking? I was hoping to use it to basically bake whole chicken. I was hoping to "set it and forget it." Do you use a second charcoal grate for lump and how much lump do you use? Mike

Mike,

I use a piece of foil to line the bottom. You can use a drip pan for messy cooks, but I'm usually too lazy to, or am at a tailgate and have to burn the leftover fuel anyway.

I always pile the lump on one side next to the vent no matter whether I'm cooking direct or indirect.

Yes, I use an additional grate for the bottom to keep the lump from falling through.

Drop a therm through the lid, maintaining 325-350 is relatively easy, but getting above and maintaining over 400 is somewhat difficult.

I can usually maintain temps for 2+ hours on a near full chimney of lump. It's a great little cooker, just isn't meant for really hot burns.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig castille:

I always pile the lump on one side next to the vent no matter whether I'm cooking direct or indirect </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So does the SJ plat have a single bottom vent like the Silver and Gold or more than one bottom vent ?

Paul

Thanks Rich

I must have been having a senior moment because I know both the Gold and old Plat SJs have the side vents - I have a Gold SJ and that's what I didn't like about the vent system. I bought a Silver with the single vent on the bottom and like its air flow much better.

Paul

It's interseting that about 50% of SJ platinum owners say that the side vents are sufficient and about 50% say they the vents are insufficient to crete a proper conveciton and prefer the bottom vents. I'll give you my opinion once I test it out this weekend. Mike

Back