Weber Kettle Rotisserie

Joe H.

TVWBB Member
I have a Weber performer that gets used on a daily basis cooking for 2 (steaks, chops, breasts). I also have the rotisserie for it. I have used it a few times with a lot of success for whole chicken, game hens, turkey breasts and various beef roasts. Now that the WSM is in the picture I feel like i will be more prone to uses it for everything aside from things I would sear. I mainly like it because it seems to cook faster and my guests love to take a peek when I baste whatever is on the spit. So I am just wondering what peoples favorite uses for the Rot. are? and will it become a box in the basement with the WSM moving in?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe H.:... So I am just wondering what peoples favorite uses for the Rot. are? and will it become a box in the basement with the WSM moving in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well I have an EZ Que rotis and use it on a Performer. I will confess to using the WSM more, but the rotis has applications that are not replaced by the WSM, ime.

Paul

A couple of weeks ago i had one of my "best ever meals off the grill", and i cooked it on the rotisserie.

Its called "Al Pastor" and is some sort of mexican Gyros.

57_P1030295_Medium_1.jpg

You can see the whole preparation HERE, if youre interested i´ll post the recipe and more information.

You can also grill Ribs on the rotisserie, HERE´s more pics.

57_P1030341_Medium_1.jpg

DM

I would definately like the recipe... i was in Belgium this past summer for work and had some of the best kabob ever and noticed it was cooked on a rotisserie. If you know whats in the cucumber sauce that would be appreciated as well.

thanks for the input

Okay, heres the recipe :

2 Habanero Chiles
4 Jalapeno Chiles
1 Bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick

Boil the above items in water for about 15 minutes til the peppers are soft.

Deseed the peppers and put em in the mixer.

3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 Cup pineapple juice
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic
3 teasp. kosher salt
1 1/2 teasp cinnamon
3/4 teasp. fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teasp. oregano
1/4 teasp. cumin
1 chopped onion
a little cilantro

add all of these ingredients to the peppers in the mixer and püree to a fine paste.

Cut the meat in chunks a little bigger than the pineapples diameter.
Put meat into bag, add marinade and mix.
Put in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours, turn and massage bag a couple of times.

Slice and core the pineapple, slice a large onion and put on spit with the meat.
Grill over indirect heat for about 1,5 hours. I used hickory chunks for smoke.

When the meat is done and crispyon the outside, take the spit off the grill and cut off the outer layer of the al pastor.
Then put the spit on the grill again to get another load of heavenly crispy bark.

I put the meat on flour tortillas topped with sour cream, some fresh green salad, cilantro, grated mozarella and squeezed a lime wedge over
it.

57_P1030258_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030280_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030304_Medium_1.jpg

Joe,

I have both and use both quite a bit. I use the wsm for low temp cooking only. Anything 300 + I default to the kettle. I enjoy cooking on the rot., especially chicken. Always looking for other recipes. With both toys you have quite a bit of versitility.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

Don, that meat and pineapple looks fantastic!

I have relatives in the Stuttgart/Esslingen area and in September of 1990 we attended the Canstatter Volksfest and had some of the best chicken there, but I can't recall which of the beer tents we were in. It was huge, though, with a great oom-pa-pa band playing on the stage. To the best of my recollection, the cickens were inserted into narrow vertical racks with coals in vertical troughs on either side of them. I've never seen this vertical grilling setup before or since. The chickens on top basted the ones below. The racks must have been in sections, and as the chickens below were finished and served, they'd lower each rack of chickens one notch.

Do you have any idea what a classic marinade or rub might be for the Volksfest-style chicken and how these were applied and handled (overnight, hours)? I can't seem to get it quite right. It would be great on the rotisserie.

Rita

Originally posted by Gary Bramley:
Joe,

I have both and use both quite a bit. I use the wsm for low temp cooking only. Anything 300 + I default to the kettle. I enjoy cooking on the rot., especially chicken. Always looking for other recipes. With both toys you have quite a bit of versitility.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!

This is a very old thread but I noticed "Gary" owned both the EZ Que and Weber Rotissiere. I just ordered an EZ Que Kettle Ring Rotisserie, however, I may be interested in buying just the Weber Spit Rod(for turkey) and a rotisserie basket to cook small chicken parts and/or veggies. Any ideas where I can obtain a Weber Spit rod that would fit the EZ Que Ring and motor?

Richard

WSM, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

Back