Which thermometer?

J

Jim M

I am a new WSM owner.

Earlier this week, I bought a remote Maverick thermomter, and that will probably be the main thermometer I use.

However, I also want to permanently mount a thermometer in the lid opposite the vent like many of you have done. My question is, what is a good thermometer for this purpose? I would rather not spend $50+ on one of these since I already have the Maverick, but I will if the higher priced ones are that much better than one that is around $20.

Jim,
I put Tel-Trus on 2 of my WSMs. I regret not getting ones that can be recalibrated.
The Tel-Trus are really good and somewhere on this board there is a discount promotion code you can enter for a 15% (?) discount.
Otherwise you can search e-bay and find pit thermos as well.
Good luck.

The BBQ Guru sells a nice Tel-Tru therm here for $25. It has a silicone mount that you can stick in the lid damper. If you dont want to drill a hole yet. Also while your buying from the guru you might as well pick up a pair of eyelets for running your Maverick cords into your WSM without setting the lid on top of them. Lastly you may want a pair of these for handling hot food. Sorry if I got a little carried away, just trying to save you some time and shipping money in the future.
icon_wink.gif

edit: If you do want to drill a hole, the Tel-Tru BQ300 is pretty popular, and can be had for less then $40 dollars with the %15 discount. You can find the discount code here.

Brandon

Back