Hound's Citrus Brined Chicken

G

Looking for a great chicken brine recipe, so is anyone willing to open up their vault and give up the secret recipe?.

I like this one, courtesy of the late Cuchulain "Hound" Libby ( R.I.P )
--
Hound's Citrus Brined Chicken

Prepare the brine:
1 gallon water
1 cup Kosher salt or 1/2 cup table salt
juice of 3 oranges
juice of three limes
juice of three lemons
rinds from same
1 sliced white onion
1 head of garlic, crushed
stems from a bunch of cilantro, chopped
serranos to taste, minimum of 4
rough ground cumin and coriander 2 Tbsp each
1/4 cup chili powder or any ground chile you prefer
(1/4 cup onion powder is optional)
(1/4cup garlic powder is optional)

Place the bird(s) and plenty of brine solution in a ziploc bag(s) and
leave refrigerated overnight prior to cooking. A cooler works fine also.
I use a 5 gal beverage cooler for all but the biggest turkeys. Frozen
soda bottles, or ice can be used to keep the cold. {8 lbs of ice= 1
gallon of water} An hour before cooking take the bird out and
thoroughly wash it down with cold water for at least 30 seconds. You
can place aromatics like garlic heads, apples, citrus in the cavity of
the bird for the cooking. I like also to place orange slices between
skin and meat. Smoke rear end of chicken toward the fire for 45
minutes/lb @ 225?F until the thigh is about 170?F. You can rotate as
necessary to avoid charring. Cooking this way will result in inedible
skin, but juicy chicken. If you like the crispy skin then place the
chicken near the firebox. This works for either chickens or turkeys.
If you eliminate the brine (salt and water) the rest of the recipe makes
an excellent marinade for grilled chicken.
--
The instructions were obviously written for an offset pit, but can easily be adapted for the WSM.
I often use this brine, but I usually spatchcock the birds and cook fairly hot, w/o a water pan.
Good stuff!

Here's a brine I posted in the Recipe Requests & Ingredient Questions.It's pretty basic,but I like it. I some times use apple cider instead of Dr. Pepper.

I like to spatchcock my chickens and brine them over night. Then grill them. They cook fast and are great tasting. Here's the brine I use......

BRINE

2 QTS. OF WATER
2 LITER BOTTLE OF COLD DR. PEPPER
3/4 CUP OF KOSHER SALT
1 CUP OF BROWN SUGAR
1/4 CUP OF LEMON JUICE
1/4 CUP OF PICKLING SPICES

BOIL ALL INGREDIENTS EXCEPT DR. PEPPER FOR ABOUT 5 MIN. AND COOL. THEN ADD COLD DR. PEPPER.

Brine chicken over night. Remove from brine and pat dry as possible. No need to inject. You can grill or smoke the chicken. Brush a little bbq sauce on them and enjoy.

"spatchcock"????? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

sounds obscene /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

whats that mean?

Jim

Spatchcock is just another term for butterflying a chicken. Hope I didn't scare you. It still tastes good no matter what you call it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim N.:
I like this one, courtesy of the late Cuchulain "Hound" Libby ( R.I.P )<br />--<br />Hound's Citrus Brined Chicken<br /><br />Prepare the brine:<br />1 gallon water<br />1 cup Kosher salt or 1/2 cup table salt<br />juice of 3 oranges<br />juice of three limes<br />juice of three lemons<br />rinds from same<br />1 sliced white onion<br />1 head of garlic, crushed<br />stems from a bunch of cilantro, chopped<br />serranos to taste, minimum of 4<br />rough ground cumin and coriander 2 Tbsp each<br />1/4 cup chili powder or any ground chile you prefer<br />(1/4 cup onion powder is optional)<br />(1/4cup garlic powder is optional)<br /><br />Place the bird(s) and plenty of brine solution in a ziploc bag(s) and <br />leave refrigerated overnight prior to cooking. A cooler works fine also. <br /> I use a 5 gal beverage cooler for all but the biggest turkeys. Frozen <br />soda bottles, or ice can be used to keep the cold. {8 lbs of ice= 1 <br />gallon of water} An hour before cooking take the bird out and <br />thoroughly wash it down with cold water for at least 30 seconds. You <br />can place aromatics like garlic heads, apples, citrus in the cavity of <br />the bird for the cooking. I like also to place orange slices between <br />skin and meat. Smoke rear end of chicken toward the fire for 45 <br />minutes/lb @ 225?F until the thigh is about 170?F. You can rotate as <br />necessary to avoid charring. Cooking this way will result in inedible <br />skin, but juicy chicken. If you like the crispy skin then place the <br />chicken near the firebox. This works for either chickens or turkeys. <br />If you eliminate the brine (salt and water) the rest of the recipe makes <br />an excellent marinade for grilled chicken.<br />--<br />The instructions were obviously written for an offset pit, but can easily be adapted for the WSM.<br />I often use this brine, but I usually spatchcock the birds and cook fairly hot, w/o a water pan.<br />Good stuff! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim
Hope you see this since the post is so old. I made the chicken today with another one with a diff way of making it. The chickens came out both great but my wife and I think this recipe brine tasted better. Thank you and Keep on Smoking
wsmsmile8gm.gif

18 WSM 18 Weber Kettle

Back