First timer questions

Brian Merz

TVWBB Member
My wife and I looking to hit a few comps this year for the first time, God love her she thinks I'm going to win Grand Champion first time out. Since it is only the two of us and the event is held during a county fair. My question is about site security, is there any or do we have to lock everything up?
Also the events I am looking at is KCBS, do I need to be a member to compete?
Thanks in advance.

Brian, good for you and the wife. Lots of fun and hard work. Most if not all cooks show up the day/night before and either cook all night or at least sleep near the cook site. If not, I have never been to a comp where I worried about theft. Don't leave your wallet on the table and go to the bar tho. Someone is alway awake nearby and if you cook low and slow you will be too, most likely.

Brian, I wish you a lot of luck. I hope you guys have fun with it.

As for security, I think most cook teams are above board and kind of look out for each other. That said, most comps I've been too it wouldn't be too hard for someone to just walk into the cooking area.

I'm pretty sure you have to be KCBS members to compete.

To nip any misinterpretation or just plain wrong info in the bud, you do NOT have to be a member of KCBS in order to compete at a KCBS-sanctioned contest. Anybody who puts a team together and pays the entry fee is welcome to participate.

I can't speak for any such requirements from other sanctioning bodies since I have no experience with them.

As for security at your site, use common sense and you'll be fine. Most competitors are great neighbors sharing a common interest and look out for one another.

On the other hand, John Q Sweatsock and other members of the general public may feel entitled to snoop around your site in a thinly veiled attempt at handouts. Be friendly but firm with them and they won't bother you.

Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind.

Good luck and enjoy!

Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Nelson:
To nip any misinterpretation or just plain wrong info in the bud, you do NOT have to be a member of KCBS in order to compete at a KCBS-sanctioned contest. Anybody who puts a team together and pays the entry fee is welcome to participate.

I can't speak for any such requirements from other sanctioning bodies since I have no experience with them.

As for security at your site, use common sense and you'll be fine. Most competitors are great neighbors sharing a common interest and look out for one another.

On the other hand, John Q Sweatsock and other members of the general public may feel entitled to snoop around your site in a thinly veiled attempt at handouts. Be friendly but firm with them and they won't bother you.

Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind.

Good luck and enjoy!

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only exception to the rule that you dont have to be a member of KCBS to compete at KCBS sanctioned events is the Sams club contests. To compete in those you have to be a KCBS member.

Hi,

I'm really not happy having to say this, but I've had something stolen at a contest and at an event last year another team had some electronics stolen (iPods and such) during the awards ceremony.

I'm sure that it was by the general public, not fellow teams.

If you are leaving your area, I would secure anything that is valuable and portable, bring them with you or ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your stuff.

Eric

Back