Would you pay $60 for a hamburger? *****

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
I'm watching Daniel Boloud's show, After Hours with Daniel. It's a rerun of an episode that caught my attention the first time it aired.

They are filming at Fathers Office, a upscale gastropub in Santa Monica, where the menu contains a cheeseburger that goes for over $60. There are no substitutions allowed, in the order. It looks delicious, and I'm thinking I would probably be stupid enough to buy one.

Daniel makes one in his New York restaurant that goes for over $200 if I recall correctly. That one will have to wait till I win the lotto.

These things look delicious. I figured it would be a fun thing to hear others opinions about.

no, but i remember a foodnetwork show that featured Father's office (it's the show with the annoying guy and "..." in the name) and he made a burger in the backyard, and it looked delicious. tried to replicate it once. came out ok, but i think with several revisions I could have made an outstanding burger

I guess if the actual ingredients were costly like Kobe beef it would justify the price but if just for the restaurants name then no. I had Kobe in a burger at a restaurant in AZ and I'll tell you it was very good, not nearly $60 but worth the $25. I'd like to try some steaks some time for a special occasion. Anybody done Kobe before?

The term "hundred-dollar hamburger" was largely coined by private pilots, who would fly to a small airport in a relatively nearby city, and eat at one of the local greasy-spoon joints.

On the other hand, I have found that the "triple-prime" at Ruby Tuesday's is very satisfying, juicy, tasty - and only about 15-bucks with a beer & salad bar.

This place is just a few blocks from where I work but for $60 bones I'll buy my own meat and grind it myself. I went to the website and they don't even have the menu up.

I'm a huge beer fan, so it would be a blast for me to check out a place like this.

But yeah, a bit of time and practice, could turn out something similar. I can't source white truffles though, and have never tried them.

what are you guys grinding up for hamburger if your making a doozy? i've heard chuck but what kind of chuck would that be?

Would you pay $60 for a hamburger?
NO! Period!! Now, if it had cheese...
icon_razz.gif
LOL!

Bill

I'd go for cheese too, but once in awhile, when I'm really jonesin' for some good beefy tasting stuff, I like the purer taste of meat without cheese. I love cheeseburgers, but once in awhile, like when I'm at In'n' Out Burger, I get the double hamburger, no cheese of course. And it's really a way to savor the great beef they use.

For the east coast guys, I'm sorry you don't have an In'n'Out nearby. They are amazingly good. And they don't cost $60 either.

tom, yer in n out must be better than mine. went a couple of weeks ago and the burger was tasteless just above the limp tasteless fries. worst stuff i've eaten in a looooong time. i loudly proclaimed it several times to the embarrasment of my wife.

This is a little off topic, but I couldent resist. I was recently at a Hard Rock in Minneapolis and ordered one of their burgers, $14 dollars I think. The thing that cought me off guard was when the waitress asked me how I wanted it, now maybe this is common and I'm just a redneck, but my response was, um done? She looked at me like I was a jackass, and perhaps this is true, but the best part, my medium looked just the same as a med-well and a well done one. Crock of sheit. Just had to add...
icon_smile.gif

Brandon

I used to hate their fries, but they did start growing on me, since they have a deep potato taste. Everything there is as fresh as can be.

That's what I like about them.

No. I think that's right up there with the woman who paid $50,000 to have her dog cloned.

Not no, but hell no. If I want a $60.00 burger, I'll go buy some ground sirloin and 4 cases of beer, and have several $60.00 burgers. I mean if I am going to spend $60.00, I might as well get ripped in the process.

Originally posted by Ed Cardoza:
Not no, but hell no. If I want a $60.00 burger, I'll go buy some ground sirloin and 4 cases of beer, and have several $60.00 burgers. I mean if I am going to spend $60.00, I might as well get ripped in the process.
LMAO!!! I like your way of thinking!
icon_cool.gif

Bill

this is maybe the dumbest question i've asked but is all hamburber ground chuck? as in like City Market, Safeway, Sams, etc.? and i still don't know which "chuck" that is. lol sorry, pretty dumb i know. thanks Toby, ...everyone.

Not a dumb question at all, and no, not all hamburger is pure chuck. It is a combination of all sorts of meat. The majority of which is cheap cuts, but a lot of various trimmings can make into the batch as well. That's specific to grocery stores regular supply, not name brand pre-packaged meat, that will likely give you a bit of info as to what it contains.

Back