Use for cured pork skin?

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
O.k., so my bacon finished curing yesterday and it's going into the WSM today. I didn't think the bacon would benefit from the rind on during smoking, so I cut it off last night. I've got it sitting in the freezer now. Is there anything I can do with it? Remember it is cured, so i'm not sure it would make the same cracklins etc. that regular skin does. But I'd like to do something with it more interesting that just chucking it into a soup/stew.
Oh ya...and no football jokes!
icon_biggrin.gif

It works well for cracklins. Trim so that there isn't thick fat on the skin, just a thin layer tops. Simmer in water for an hour, dry well, cut into bite-sized pieces. Bake at 250-300 for about 3 hours. (Can bake till crisp and use as such; they'll be flat, not puffed.) Store the baked pieces till needed then deep fry.

They are delicious freshly fried then used in tacos, with soft corn tortillas and salsa verde.

Note that chicharron are used in Filipino cuisine (as well as eaten as a snack, with vinegar, salt and crushed red pepper and/or minced onion). Try briefly searing some shrimp in oil, removing them when half-cooked; reserve. In the same pan saute some onions, add a little garlic when the onions are ready, and a little ginger if desired. When fragrant, deglaze with a little chicken stock (or, better, stock you made from the shrimp shells), then swirl in some coconut milk and tamarind paste (you can add some blanched vegs--broccoli, e.g.--if you wish at this point), simmer, then add some broken up chicharron and return the shrimp to the pan to finish cooking. Serve over rice.

Along a similar tack: Make a stir-fry of your favorite stir-fry vegs and aromatics. Make a sauce out of chicken stock, tamarind, and a little soy. Make a cornstarch or arrowroot slurry. Cook some rice noodles. Finish the stir-fry with the sauce, adding theslurry to thicken slightly. Toss the noodles with some of the stir-fry, plate, topping the noodles with more stir-fry vegs and sauce, then topping thiswith ground up chicharron.

Alternatively, ground chicharron can be used to thicken sauces, like either of those above, or others. A nice sauce for grilled fish isone of coconut milk and a little tamarind thicked with ground chicharron.

Finely chopped cracklins are great as a salad topping--or anywhere you'd use bacon bits.

I use cured pork skin to line the casserole when I make cassoulet, a great fall/winter dish. It's good in the cassoulet as well, minced finely, it adds great flavor and luscious texture.

Thanks Kevin. I was kind of chuckling to myself after I cut it off thinking "well, I have no excuse not to make cassoulet now."
icon_biggrin.gif

The tacos sounded especially good. I think that's what I'll do with them.

Re: The chicharron, it's widely available here freshly cooked in mexican stores. I've purchased it a few times...it was really nothing like I expected. They sell two types, crispy and not-so-crispy. Anyway, they aren't at all what I think of when I think of the chicharrones I see in bags at the store. They are *very* thick (2") with meat still attached. Not sure if that's what you're referring to.

I think I may save a bit and bake as you directed, then freeze, then deep fry as a garnish for salad etc. Great idea!

I like them with a little meat attached, sometimes, for snacking. They are good in tacos but you can use any type of cracklins, chicharrones, chicharron (note the lack of a plural form, common in Filipino) for tacos or for mincing or grinding.

I was referring to the skin-only versions with my Filipino references, but any kind would work there as well.

Back