Key Limes vs. Regular Limes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
Ok so when i went down to Trader Joe's to get Tri-Tips i also picked up some Key Limes. Never new they were so diminutive. So i'm doing Raichlen's Fajitas recipe and it called for the juice of 2 limes. So how many of the key lime's should i have used? Are they stronger or a milder lime than regular ones? Thanks Bryan

Hey, I got mine at Trader Joe's too! Actually, I SAW them there then regretted not getting them and bought them later that day at Harris Teeter. But I digress.

The amazing thing about those suckers is their seeds are practically as large as (and there are nearly as many of 'em as) a regular lime.

The equivalents I found say that you use 2 to 3 as many key limes (so you would use between 4 and 6 key limes to subsitute for the two regular limes Raichlen wants). They're not stronger per se, but more acidic.

Thanks Susan. I was able to cover the flank with juice using 4 of them 2 keys per side. I was more worried about them being stronger or tasting different than what i'm used to. The seeds are darn near as big as the limes.
icon_eek.gif
Cute little suckers they are. Thanks
icon_biggrin.gif

Me too, They taste brighter/fresher to me. I grow them (they are, fortunately, very prolific) but even the store-bought have that quality, imo, if they're ripe (more yellow or yellowish-green than green).

They don't keep quite as long as Persians but you can squeeze them and freeze the juice in cube trays and remove those to a Ziplock when frozen.

If they're not fully ripe yet leave them on your counter. They'll continue ripiening for a bit. The flavor is a bit mellower when fully ripe.

Got two trees in pots on our porch. They are the perfect size for that oh so perfect summer drink...gin and tonic.

Best way to ward off malaria and scurvy right
icon_biggrin.gif

I saw some of the little guys at wally world the other day , wish I had picked some up now. Maybe next time . They were very green"now I know to let the sit out a few days ".

Thanks ,
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back